Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in an order for a 2012 v6 PP and am quite excited. My boss was telling me no to put a CAI on my car living in New England Because it sucks up so much sand and crap and if it rips (and he said eventually it will) if will suck all that into your engine and harm it. Any thoughts on this? he said I should get another typ of intake to which I have now forgot.

I am pretty novice when it comes to cars, so any input would be helpful. I really just want to give the V6 that awesome low sound, and adding a little extra HP and responsiveness would not be terrible thing either. I really just plan on adding the CAI and an exhaust, plus a Tune

·
Registered
332 Posts
His fears might make sense on a low mounted CAI, but Airaid and all the others I can think of use the stock airbox as a housing for the cone type filter, so it's mounted quite high and very well protected. Incredibly unlikely that it would get ripped. If you want, you can buy a prefilter to go over the cone filter as an extra line of defense.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Bud, your boss is full of crap, tell him I said so! :gringreen

Nothing will "rip" and let anything in that isn't supposed to get in.

If he is referring to the filter itself, then the media in the filter is reinforced with a metal mesh, if he's talking about the rubber base of the filter then it would only "rip" if the car gets crashed and the CAI is damaged by the crash.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bud, your boss is full of crap, tell him I said so! :gringreen

Nothing will "rip" and let anything in that isn't supposed to get in.

quote]

Maybe his boss was thinking about that cool JCWhitney paper filter he replaced his oil bath filter with on his old VW Beetle back in the day.:yelwacko:

·
Registered
587 Posts
We sell this kit at c-f-m.com.$289.95
The new C&L intake system is guaranteed to increase the power on your 2011 3.7L V6 Mustang by +10hp and +10lb/ft TO THE WHEELS as tested in our automatic equipped 2011 Mustang
C&L Air Intake System for the 2011 Mustang V6 (no tuning required)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The new C&L intake system is guaranteed to increase the power on your 2011 3.7L V6 Mustang by +10hp and +10lb/ft TO THE WHEELS as tested in our automatic equipped 2011 Mustang
Do you have dyno data showing this purported hp and torque increase?

·
Registered
7 Posts
airaid CAI ROCKS!

I just put in a Airaid CAI and it sounds excellent! Much more pull above 2000 rpm and my MPG got better! Can't beat this! :cooldude:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do you have dyno data showing this purported hp and torque increase?
cnlperformance.com

Independent dyno testing of our air intake on an otherwise stock 2011 V6 Mustang shows a peak horsepower level of up to 254 HP at the rear wheels on an automatic equipped vehicle.

The following dyno graph shows an independent test of our 2011 V6 air intake assembly on a vehicle that was already equipped with a Magnaflow exhaust system, making 244 to 245 rear wheel horsepower in back-t0-back tests. The average of three runs is shown in the supplied graph. These results were achieved with the vehicle in 3rd gear and are SAE corrected numbers. The following video link is of a 2011 V6 manual model tested by Cody Cutforth of Stang-Hi performance in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Making 281 rear wheel horsepower, this car is equipped with our 2011 V6 air intake assembly, Maganaflow exhaust and a custom SCT computer tune. For more information, you can contact Stang-Hi at (225) 751-4321

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. I plan on putting in an air raid CAI and i think a magnaflow exhaust (when I can afford to) also gonna get a bama tune. I figure that should keep me happy for awhile.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. I plan on putting in an air raid CAI and i think a magnaflow exhaust (when I can afford to) also gonna get a bama tune. I figure that should keep me happy for awhile.
No sir. There is no end to the sickness. I have a 93R tune, Airaid CAI, and 3.73's. Its not enough. Never will be muhaaahahahaha!!:evillol:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just put in an order for a 2012 v6 PP and am quite excited. My boss was telling me no to put a CAI on my car living in New England Because it sucks up so much sand and crap and if it rips (and he said eventually it will) if will suck all that into your engine and harm it. Any thoughts on this? he said I should get another typ of intake to which I have now forgot.

I am pretty novice when it comes to cars, so any input would be helpful. I really just want to give the V6 that awesome low sound, and adding a little extra HP and responsiveness would not be terrible thing either. I really just plan on adding the CAI and an exhaust, plus a Tune
Central Florida Motorsports
c-f-m.com $269.90
AIRAID MXP Series Cold Air Dam Intake System. Airaid cold air intake kit features an one piece air box and a MAF housing incorporated into the intake tube. The airbox uses the factory intake air duct from the grille and it is shielded from the engine bay heat with the provided weather strip that seals it to the hood. This intake will gain on average 13HP and 15FT/LBS of torque. This intake is easy to install with basic hand tools.
AIRAID MXP CAI Cold Air Intake for 2011 Mustang V6 (Tune Not Required)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Wow these guys actually have some legitimate parts. One of the few websites that sells Borla catback exhaust. Im happy with what im seeing.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That dyno graph does not show an increase in HP and TQ. It just displays the numbers as they are with the parts already installed. Was there no baseline dyno graph done with the same car on the same day minus the CAI?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How exactly does a CAI add power to this car? The stock intake seems pretty well designed. Is it restricting airflow? I'm sure they sound nice and maybe that's why people think they add power.

·
Registered
529 Posts
A cold air intake (I like the airaid) will add horsepower and torque to your engine, especially when combined with a tune.
I ran one on my last car for 35,000 miles and never had any problems with tearing or anything else.
The only reason I don't have one on my car is because they have become illegal in California and the fines are very high.
If you think you would enjoy one, go ahead and get it and don't worry about it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
689 Posts
Illegal in CA? And I thought MA sucked

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah. Sad but true. Same thing applies to modified exhausts. I was ready to order an FRPP exhaust from AM, and they said it was 49 state legal.....except for California. :sosad:
At least I have my tuner now and so far am enjoying it.:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Funny. I normally make a point of not telling my boss they're full of $hit but in this case I wouldn't hold back. Then I'd unload on them with an endless barrage of insults ultimately ending with something along the lines "and to think I'm working for your sorry pathetic dumb a$$".

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Funny. I normally make a point of not telling my boss they're full of $hit but in this case I wouldn't hold back. Then I'd unload on them with an endless barrage of insults ultimately ending with something along the lines "and to think I'm working for your sorry pathetic dumb a$$".

I've done this before, and suddenly, for some reason, I wasn't working for their sorry, pathetic, dumb ass any more...

:nogrinner:nogrinner:nogrinner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts