Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering if there really is a 'difference' between brands of cold air intakes. Steeda claims to have the highest performance boost between all the intakes I saw, but JLT is the cheapest and people say it is identical. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
All BS/PR/Marketing....IMHO & the Chief Engineer for Ford and Testland Corp ISO test data and...oh I could go on......

In 2012 on jay Leno’s garage, when inquired, Fords Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak specifically stated that the use of an aftermarket CAI will do nothing to gain any power.

Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: Duramax Air Filter Testing * - Diesel Bombers.

“After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.”

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying don't even get CAI?

·
Registered
228 Posts
All BS/<acronym title="Page Ranking">PR/Marketing....IMHO & the Chief Engineer for Ford and Testland Corp ISO test data and...oh I could go on......

In 2012 on jay Leno’s garage, when inquired, Fords Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak specifically stated that the use of an aftermarket CAI will do nothing to gain any power. youtubelinkremoved

Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: Duramax Air Filter Testing * - Diesel Bombers.

“After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.”
every official OEM media/PR/marketing employee is gonna say that... I've even heard a Porsche PR guy (also on Leno's youtube channel) claim that there's no horsepower to be made by getting rid of the cat on a GT2... and we all know thats a lie.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The oem intake is good but there are areas for improvement. I recommend an AEM intake because they are the only company that uses a closed box design. Everything about this intake is great. Check them out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I vote JLT. I always got good Dyno results with one of them installed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
More than likely that is combined with an aftermarket program at the same time. Not only that but the 44hp gain isn't a peak power gain. It's just the biggest difference measured somewhere in the power curve. Actual peak gains aren't going to be as high. There's nothing wrong with that and power picked up anywhere will make a difference. You just can't go around claiming your car makes 464 hp from just a tune and intake swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The aftermarket CAI, are a cosmetic piece on 2011-2014 coyote's, the Ford engineered CAI does the job as it is called. I am still running the stock piece, and have runa best of 12.18 @ 113 MPH with just a 93 octane tune, and suspension, and factory tires, and factory 3.15 gears. The so called 'gains" these companies claim, can be made with just the tune itself. The aftermarket CAI's come more into play when going FI.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
every official OEM media/<acronym title="Page Ranking">PR/marketing employee is gonna say that... I've even heard a Porsche <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR guy (also on Leno's youtube channel) claim that there's no horsepower to be made by getting rid of the cat on a GT2... and we all know thats a lie.
Ok, let's just take a look at basic physics.....and a completely separate simple engine.....Fords 5.4 V8 in the F150.....

This 5.4 V8 for example if close to stock can only suck in a maximum of 480 cfm and a flat panel filter will flow 500 cfm....so how can just a CAI force more air into an engine that is already injesting everything it can? It can't plan & simple- basic laws of physics without a forced induction system.

What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed....again, basic physics.

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! on an OEM replacement unit.

I know...science and real data by an ISO certified test facility.

The formula which is used by every air filter manufacturer in the world to determine the CFM for flat panel filters is...
Flat Panel CM= Length x Width x 6

So, take you relatively stock engine, calc the max CFM based upon mfg specs; calc the max CFM the oem filter will flow....now show me how sticking a filter that will flow 900 CFM will increase the performance of an engine that can only suck in a max of 480 cfm and has an oem filter that will flow 500 (like on the 5.4 F150)?

bad math, no science...all PR materials for the sticker hp crowd!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Me likes stock. 91 octane tune, 11.9 at 115happyfeet.gif

·
Registered
287 Posts
OP I say buy what ever Cai you want. People buy cosmetic stuff for there cars all the time. Do they need it probably not but makes them happy. I bought the Airaid Cai and and I don't have a tune (right know). Is it any better than stock probably not but I like it and thats what matters. I would say aftermarket Cai (any one will work which ever you like) and and tune would be your best bet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The oem intake is good but there are areas for improvement. I recommend an AEM intake because they are the only company that uses a closed box design. Everything about this intake is great. Check them out.
Yep, that is the one I have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts