Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a BBK cold air intake this past weekend, and oh-boy what a fun time that was. =P

First off my aftermarket MAF doesn't have the four bolt flange on the intake side like the stock one does. So of course I had to cut the four bolt flange off my new intake tubing. God bless my drimmil tool and jig saw. I got the two pieces attached together with a three inch rubber fitting from the plumbing department at Home Depot.

I got everything together and all seemed well until I realized that the ******* that sold me the car did not have an air filter on it. I probably drove the car around for 400 miles WITHOUT an air filter. And worse then that, I got it tuned without one. So now that there is an air filter on the car, the air flow is restricted and I think it is effecting my performance. The car bogges down alot when I try to floor it.

I don't know how much air restriction is going to affect the car like that. I also don't know if I damaged my MAF. I dropped it about 2 feet too the concrete at one point, so that might be the problem as well. (I looked and the two little wires are okay, so I'm not sure)

I would like to know if there is anywhere I can get my MAF tested and also if this new air restriction would affect the engine as much as it has.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
you can test the maf yourself, but first thing i would do since you didn't have an air filter is take the time and check your timing, tps setting and your throttlebody setting........if you need to voltage number's, i will get them for ya, just let me know.........as far as tps settings and so forth, i can get you that too, or you can do a search in the tech section.......

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Oh boy

The MAF is a delicate beast, and you may have totaled it out - or just gotten it dirty - the hot wire sensor section is sensitive to (for instance) oil contamination. If it gets covered with oil, it doesn't want to work properly. Getting dropped can damage the sensor as well.

Your tune up may adapt to the new cai and filter - only 200 miles of driving or a bunch of operating cycles will tell the tale.

Checking the tps voltage is a good idea whenever changing the fuel intake system. And making sure the air filter isn't over-oiled is a must (too much oil and it won't breath properly, and contaminate the MAF, etc).

'luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.