Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get alot of pinging with regular and midgrade gas, and I'm tired of paying for premium. I'm want to get colder plugs. I'm not sure how you refer to the different temps by number, but what is the OEM heat number, and what is recommeded to stop the pinging???

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Your not pinging, Pinging can only happen if you have forced induction. You just have some bad gas it sounds like. try filling up with 90-91 octane and using a booster. Change where you buy gas. Pinging is when you have too much air in the cylinder and the spark will not egnite the mixture, so you basically float a valve and lead to trouble. with out a Power Adder, you car works on a vaccum system and will only pull in the air that is needed, which is monitored by the mass Air sensor, if you pull in more air it will adjust the mixture to a certain point.

to tell the temp setting on spark plugs, it is a set of three, either 22C or 32C or 42C in the part Number.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
He's had this problem for a while. I think a previous owner installed a 91 octane tune.

You really need to go to a dealer and have them install an OEM tune. Changing the plug will only mask the problem.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Hey, man!

I forgot about Mustangtk! Shoot him a PM, and see what he says. He's a Ford Tech, and might have a better chance at a distance diagnosis .. .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well maybe its detonation...The car was my dads before he gave it to me, so i know it hasn't had a 91 octane tune or anything like that. I always fill up with Shell V-power, so i don't think its the gas. The knocking isn't bad with premium, but i'm just tired of paying the $.10 extra for every gallon...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Your not pinging, Pinging can only happen if you have forced induction.
I believe if you research the subject a bit more you will find that statement is incorrect.

Either run a higher octane fuel or change the tune as has been suggested.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Your right Tom, It is the main occurance in Powe Enhanced Engines without a proper tune. Definition: The piston can overheat and knocking can and will occur. This knocking is caused by ignition of the gas/air mix in your cylinder before the spark of the spark plug. This causes temperature and pressure peaks that will melt your piston, crack your cylinder head, and drop one of your exhaust valves. You have heard about those abrupt deaths of air cooled engines.
Pinging sounds like rocks being thrown around inside your engine. It will never happen at idle, may happen at part throttle, but is most likely to happen at full throttle. It is usually accompanied by a small amount of smoke out of the tailpipe, but don't rely on that.
Pinging is like... taking a cutting torch to your combustion chamber. Your engine can stand anywhere from less than one second to perhaps minute of pinging before it suffers permanent and serious damage, depending on conditions.
The hotter your engine is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The farther your timing is advanced, the more likely your engine is to ping. The higher your compression ratio is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The lower the octane of gas you use, the more likely your engine is to ping.

So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.

If you take care of the first three, you shouldn't have to worry about the last one.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Very good explanation, but make that type bigger! :eyebulge: My eyes are getting old... :eyepoppin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lcurle said:
So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.

If you take care of the first three, you shouldn't have to worry about the last one.

Ok...so how do i take care of the first 3 options? I've been using higher octane gas anyway, so option 4 is taken care of.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jrspony said:
Ok...so how do i take care of the first 3 options? I've been using higher octane gas anyway, so option 4 is taken care of.
that's the thing.

on a stock engine, with your mileage, #1 doesn't make sense, #3 doesn't make sense, unless someone milled the heads, and #4 shouldn't be necessary.

so that leaves #2 which is only possible with a reprogram of the computer.

you might check your thermostat, but your problem doesn't add up.

Did you ever take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kscoyote said:
Did you ever take it to a dealer?
No. And i probably won't be able to. I don't have the money to pay a dealer to tell me whats wrong, or get my comp reprogramed. Thats y i asked the forum...I vaguly remember readin a thread similar to my question, and someone suggested getting colder plugs. That's really my question. Would colder plugs eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jrspony said:
No. And i probably won't be able to. I don't have the money to pay a dealer to tell me whats wrong, or get my comp reprogramed. Thats y i asked the forum...I vaguly remember readin a thread similar to my question, and someone suggested getting colder plugs. That's really my question. Would colder plugs eliminate the problem?
It may mask the problem, but the underlying problem will still be there. It won't fix the problem.

Is it the original engine?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea the engine is original. Everything under the hood is original...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey do u know if anyone ever advanced the timing on the car? Its a popular thing to do with the mustang to get a few extra horses out of the motor. If the timing is advanced too much it would lead to pinging. Also when timing is advanced higher octane fuel is required to prevent pinging, which kinda sounds like ur situation. Well since ur dad owned the car, see if he knows anyhting about a timing adjustment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.