Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've done the column switch onto my 67 and this was the standard collapsible 68 type. You will have to get the short shaft steering box to go with it. You can use the manual box or one from a power steering set up.

The manual box has a steering ratio of 19:1, which is easier to turn the steering wheel at stop or low speeds, or the P/S box with a ratio of 16:1, which will give you quicker steering response, but will require more effort in turning the wheel at stop or low speeds.

There are two different output shaft diameters on the short shaft boxes, where the pitman arm mounts,1 in and 1 1/8 inch. Unfortunately you will have to find a 67 short shaft box with the 1 inch sector shaft (output shaft) so that you can use the 65-66 pitman arm. The 67-68 pitman arms are different. I believe the 67 manual box with the code SMB-C and P/S box, SMB-E have the 1 inch sector shaft. All of the 68 and late 67 boxes have the 1 1/8 inch shafts which won't fit your application.

You must use all of the 68 column mounting brackets and fasteners that fit to the dash. They are designed as part of the collapsible system.

The electrical connector will have to be changed for the horn and directional signals. This can be done by removing the wires from one connector to the other. A schematic electrical diagram will help to swap the wires.

As for a tilt column, I'm not sure, but it may work if there is enough clearance in the dash area. I hope that you can pull this swap out. It gives me the creeps thinking about that solid long steering shaft being aimed at my chest.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I read an article, I believe was Mustang Monthly, that said that the mounting bracket for the sholder belt is welded in place and under the headliner of the 67 cars. I don't think I'll tear into my headliner to confirm, but it's something to check out.

Why didn't they put belts in? Why did they bother to weld in the mounting brackets?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read an article, I believe was Mustang Monthly, that said that the mounting bracket for the sholder belt is welded in place and under the headliner of the 67 cars. I don't think I'll tear into my headliner to confirm, but it's something to check out.

Why didn't they put belts in? Why did they bother to weld in the mounting brackets?
I wonder if 65's have this bracket?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering which way you went with you fuel for your 88 5.0 carb.engine? Was your engine always a carb engine or was it changed over to a carb? If it was change to a carb. What type of fuel delivery type did you use? Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As in...I have an electric fuel pump. My engine was originally an 88 efi (5.0 HO), however I switched over to carb. It was just simpler at the time. It runs very strong!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.