Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my name is Chad, im in college with my 66 inline 6 project car. I noticed when i was driving i could feel a sqeaky noise coming from the front left tire i believe. and when im driving and turn the wheel it starts this popping noise. i changed all my brakes / drums because they needed to be donw and i found a broken bearing that was on the spindle. but i drove it again and still there is a popping noise when i turn the wheel. I jacked it up in my garage and cant seem to see what is the problem, and when i turn the wheel it doesnt make the noise, i have to be driving (front wheel spinning fast) and then turning for it to make that noise.
Can anyone please suggest what it might be, a bearing maybe or an arm of some sort. i have very little money and am decent working on the car. if i know the part i can change it. i dont have a lot of money to get numerous parts pr go to mechanic. Thank you very much! =)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
a good way to see if its a bearing is to spin the hub with a flat bar(screwdriver) put between the lug bolts. look for a holding jerking, make sure the brakes arent holing the rotors.

also with the tire on and the car jacked wiggle the tire in and out from the 12 and 6 oclock points.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
kwik99 is telling you how to look for a loose wheel bearing. popping noises an originate from inner or outer tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, worn pitman or idler arms and even upper control arm bushings or shafts.
start testing and eliminating pieces, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.