Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I JUST got a 1965 convertible Mustang....an hour ago! I am OVER THE MOON!!!! Everyone keeps asking if it's the original Playboy Pink Mustang but I have no idea. Strongly doubt it but thought I'd ask. The color code is left blank.....Help??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Special color cars had the color code left blank on the door tag.

Was your car originally pink? Who knows, and may never know since there's no production records for 65 around. What can be said is the fact your car was a special order color, any nonstock color, unless someone had a replacement door tag made up leaving the color blank.

One thing you can do is look up under the rear window area in the trunk, or any other difficult to access area and see if any other color is visible (besides primer) that may point to the car's original color. Unless the car was fully dismantled and restored these areas typically aren't repainted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome Jay! Thanks for your help!!! Just got her yesterday & all I could do was stare at her! Didn't help that I stalled her out pulling into the neighborhood.....kinda scared me a bit as I don't want to be cruising around & have her poop out on me till I have my mechanic give me a thumbs up. My dad bought her sight unseen (except in pix) in an online adventure so we're not really sure how sound of a Pony she really is just yet.

Today, I will be googling & youtubing how to take down & put up the top! LOL

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Sweet looking 'Stang. You need to post up some pictures. Like Jay said, check the hard to get into places, and check under the edge of the carpet.

As for putting the top up and down... ALWAYS PUT THE WINDOWS DOWN FIRST, ALL 4 OF THEM (Door and quarter windows). If you don't, you risk damaging the windows and the top & top frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment! I think she looks pretty freaking HOT!!

And since the door tag is bright, shiney & new looking...I believe your right about having one made up & left the color blank. Does this mean that the #'s have been changed or did they just opt to leave the color code blank because they painted her pink & wanted it to look *original*? I've searched around & found that she was a darker red. Oh well...she's pink now!!

Yeah...I read that about the windows needing to be down first...and she went down like a champ (well, with a little boost in the beginning but heck, I too need a little boost here & there! LOL).

Question for you two....when it rains, she leaks. (She was a total surprise so her stall...aka the garage...was not ready for her.) She is now in the garage but something that was brought to my attention is the venting on the hood allows for water to drain right into the floor board. So...is there something out there that I can cover this venting when I am washing her to prevent this?

Also...I've heard *Mother's Chrome Polish* is THE BEST so I've got the chrome covered but what would you recommend I use for the white top (A: to clean & B: to protect & moisturize)? Same question for the white interior?

And finally....INSURANCE. Should I go through State Farm who insures all of my other vehicles & home or should I opt for a Calssic/Vintage car insurance?

Talk to me, boys! I need some guidance on this one!! :worship

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
For my interior I use Meguiar's interior cleaner and protectant. It cleans and protects the vinyl from getting dried out and cracking from the sunlight.

As for keeping water from going down the cowl panel. I keep this on my car almost all the time, unless it is a gorgeous day and I'm out for a drive. Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories I have one that's similar except it's clear. It has a rubber gasket so it won't scratch or mark the paint. Than it has three knobs that you put through the vents on the cowl then turn them so they hold down on the vents.

Something you should also check is to see if the windshield gasket is old and cracked. The base of the windshield may be leaking. I know mine does.

As for the dataplate, it may not have been replaced. Mine looks brand new, but only because I cleaned it up. And the dark red may be Ford's primer. Ford used red oxide primer under the paint instead of gray. Remove the aluminium sill plate (or step plate) inside the door on both sides and see what color it is. Alot of times people don't paint inside there.

And lastly, for the convertible top I found this on amazon when I did a google search. Amazon.com: BlueMagic 707 Convertible Top Cleaner with Trigger - 16 fl. oz.: Automotive

·
Registered
572 Posts
Congrats! There's nothing like loving your ride...

I use my regular car insurer, although there are several classic car insurance companies that people like (Hagerty, etc.)

Travelers Insurance "Historical" coverage gives me 3,000 miles/year and an agreed value of $ 15K for about $ 250. Collector car insurance is very inexpensive if you're just driving it for fun, shows, etc. . If you intend for this to be your daily driver, the insurance will probably cost more...but not as much as a newer car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooooo Cuddy, I am SOOOO lovin my ride!! What a totally awesome experience. Thanks for the insurance comments too. Is on my *TO DO* list for today!

Sprint - I just took apart the plates on both sides & found Pepto Pink. I tell ya...whomever redid this car, went to great lengths to make sure her original color could not be found. May rank right up there with the Seven Wonders of the World. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.