Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just took ownership of my 2013 Sterling Grey Mustang last week. I love the color and in the direct sunlight it really shines. The only problem is that to most people, its just a grey car and there is nothing to really set my apart from the others in upcoming car shows. Being on a budget I decided that painting the calipers would be a good start. On my white 95 I painted them red but I wanted to stay away from the typical red, black or silver. Anyone have any suggestions of a color that would really pop? Perhaps an orange or a copper? Attached is a picture of the wheels with the unpainted calipers for people who may need a visual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I wouldn't do it either but I could see Bronze with sterling

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just took ownership of my 2013 Sterling Grey Mustang last week. I love the color and in the direct sunlight it really shines. The only problem is that to most people, its just a grey car and there is nothing to really set my apart from the others in upcoming car shows. Being on a budget I decided that painting the calipers would be a good start. On my white 95 I painted them red but I wanted to stay away from the typical red, black or silver. Anyone have any suggestions of a color that would really pop? Perhaps an orange or a copper? Attached is a picture of the wheels with the unpainted calipers for people who may need a visual.
I personally think painting OEM calipers is a waste of time unless you smooth them out first. I was looking at mine the other day, and decided they're too rough to make them look decent. Granted it's more expensive, but buying covers will look better. If you want a color that isn't available, you can always buy some and then have them powder coated. It's certainly cheaper than buying brembos and then possibly having to buy larger wheels so the calipers have the appropriate clearance.

If you do end up going with paint, get the G2 caliper paint system. It's much better than high-temp spray paint.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think copper or gold would look good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How about dark metallic blue.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am thinking pink would stand out......

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I wanted to stay away from the typical red, black or silver.
Understood; but with those wheels, I'd go black, because the combination of black calipers and silver rotors would nicely echo the wheels. If it were my car I would not introduce another color. With a color like SGM, I think the preferred approach is "quiet elegance" rather than "pop."

·
Registered
810 Posts
The bronze/copper colour that used to be on the 350Z Brembos would look nice.

Or (what I've been thinking of doing to my SGM) go with something close to the factory colour with more black in it. I think it would look great!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know you said no black, but I think glossy black would go well with the wheels.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lime Green? and some drilled rotors!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input everyone. I know painting the OEM calipers isn't exactly what most would do but upgrading the brakes to Brembos just isn't an option with one semester of college left this coming fall. The dark metallic blue is a unique suggestion. If I do end up painting them, I will go with something other than black the first try because if I don't like it, black can easily cover up the other color as plan B.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have red paint just waiting to go on my calipers. I want to take them off and do all of it.. caliper and bracket. My car is black and white and red is the best color to go with those. I don't let "oh, its overdone" stop me from doing stuff. I bought a Mustang after all

·
Registered
101 Posts
I polished mine

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is what i did to mine red with silver
That turned out really well and looks super clean! Perhaps since I have the black and silver wheels I could do something similar with black and silver. The thought of grabber blue recently popped into my head as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yellow, ala CTS-V calipers? They do pop a bit, maybe not what you're looking for, but a black or dark grey V sure looks great with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will snap a few this week

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to go ahead with painting the brakes even though they aren't the fancy Brembo package. Went with "burnt copper". I think it turned out well and I am happy all in all. They match my "toxic orange" carbon fiber shift knob from Speed Dawg. Here's the pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts