Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1991 with the 2.3 8 plug and the 4 speed auto transmission. The guy says it drives, but you have to shift it through the gears manually, you can't just put it in drive and go. Is this a simple fix? Or will it have to have some major work done on it/ or a whole new transmission?

Thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
The vacuum modulators and shift solenoids are common problems associated with the AL4D transmission, which can both be serviced without removing the transmission from the car. Usually the modulator or vacuum line will be the culprit for a no-shift issue, but as with all things automotive, there can be a few variables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I read another thread earlier that mentioned the modulator and vacuum line on a car having almost identical problems as this one. I just wanted some advice before i spent money on something i was going to have to work on immediately. Thanks again!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, he worked with me on that issue off line and he was able to resolve it with a little bit of effort, which is normally the case. The AL4D get a bad rap that it doesn't deserve IMHO.

My supercharged Mustang runs a highly stressed AL4D transmission and it has held up well considering the amount of torque I put through it. I do have a few mods done to the transmission to keep it alive, but still it serves as a testament to what they will take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the al4d the same as the C4 transmission? I've seen the C4 mentioned quite a bit but I don't know too much about the transmission world, so I dont know the difference..

·
Registered
621 Posts
No it's basically a C-3 with an extra gear. It's nowhere near as strong as a C-4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than the usual things to search for on a car that one is interested in such as leaks, damage, and just the overall condition, what are some things to look for in the 2.3 world? Or i guess in the Mustang world in general.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not much really, but dual plug cars get a little finicky when it comes to ignition parts at higher mileage intervals. Things like crank sensors, TFI modules and coil packs start to crap out and can cause some owner frustration. Replacing those parts before they fail or just keeping some spares around just in case, wouldn't be a bad idea, .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would those things cause it to miss? Because i now own the car and it just started missing. 4th cylinder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the engine is misfiring and your tach is reading wrong, it's the ICU. Did lots of reading when I had my '93, and after $25 bucks, 10 minutes at the local wrecking yard, and 5 minutes under the hood, I had my engine running well. This won't be the issue if your tach reads properly. You'll know, it'll show idle around 400 rpm lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts