Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 4.0 v6 mustang and im looking to tune it up for more torque and horse power. if you guys could help me that would be great!. so far i have after market exaust done to it which the previous owner must have done and it sounds nice but I personally have

K&N Cold air intake

im looking for more things to put into my car for horsepower.:wavey

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would say your very next mod should be a tuner with custom tunes. It will a smart move as many of the power adders need custom tunes...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
473 Posts
tuner?
sorry im new to this but exactly what should i mod it with what should i add.
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

basically you buy this and have them make you custom tunes, then plug into your OBD port and load it up. It will tune your cars computer so that it runs differently and it definitely unlocks some HP. most people on here run the 93 octane Race tune as it gives the highest performance boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much i will most likely get this.. should i get this specific one ore one in general

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are really only two brands that i know of. Diablosport and SCT. I personally use the SCT (the one i showed) and so do many other people on here but it's up to you.

I will also say this though that if you buy the exact one i showed you they will give you free tunes for life for anything you buy off of their site that requires a tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay thank you very much you helped me out alot. thats probably what im going to get! :kooky::bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
+1 on the SCT tuner and the custom tunes for life! BTW they will free tune your car despite where you bought the parts from, not just theirs!

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 on the SCT tuner and the custom tunes for life! BTW they will free tune your car despite where you bought the parts from, not just theirs!
cool they must have changed their policy since i got my tuner in 09.

·
Registered
653 Posts
one thing you might look for is a tlock and a set of gears. depending on what you're looking for, 3.73's or 4.10's are the most popular. The tlok will keep both wheels spinning and give you much more jump at start. the tuner will compensate for anything you put on your ride (except a supercharger, they specialize a tuner for that). the gears change the ratio from your driveshaft to your axle, so if your driveshaft is spinning insanely fast and your axle is going moderately fast your low end power will jump and with the tlok you'll be sure to get the most out of it. You'll have to check around on prices, I'm going for the same thing; just don't have the time right now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
+1 FTW on the tuner from American Muscle... The K&N CAI is fine, but the JLT CAI develops more power IMO.
Gears and t-lok are not power adders, but they are power MOVERS and should be on your list if you are wanting to make her go quicker.

Long tube headers with no cats or high flow cats will free up some ponies, the shorties like I have are really just for exhaust tone (I like to pretend they are good for a few HP, but I doubt it).

Nitrous or F/I (supercharger) are the big adders, and can be a major investment. If you have ANY serious thought about going Forced Induction or even Nitrous consider replacing the rear end with an 8.8 incher off of a GT, it will handle the added power better than the stock 7.5 inch. This is where I am at right now... Gears and t-lok are on my list for next month when my trip is over and I can't rule out a supercharger in my future so I am rear end shopping rather than the gears and t-lok alone. I can get the gears and t-lok done for $600-$700, I can buy a rear end that alreadt has the gears I want and t-lok for $800-$900 and replace it myself...

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
+1 on the tuner. Gears and tlok would be a big help too but get the tuner 1st as you will need it for the gears to correct your speedo/odometer

·
Registered
653 Posts
+1 FTW on the tuner from American Muscle... The K&N CAI is fine, but the JLT CAI develops more power IMO.
Gears and t-lok are not power adders, but they are power MOVERS and should be on your list if you are wanting to make her go quicker.

Long tube headers with no cats or high flow cats will free up some ponies, the shorties like I have are really just for exhaust tone (I like to pretend they are good for a few HP, but I doubt it).

Nitrous or F/I (supercharger) are the big adders, and can be a major investment. If you have ANY serious thought about going Forced Induction or even Nitrous consider replacing the rear end with an 8.8 incher off of a GT, it will handle the added power better than the stock 7.5 inch. This is where I am at right now... Gears and t-lok are on my list for next month when my trip is over and I can't rule out a supercharger in my future so I am rear end shopping rather than the gears and t-lok alone. I can get the gears and t-lok done for $600-$700, I can buy a rear end that alreadt has the gears I want and t-lok for $800-$900 and replace it myself...

true on the power movers, it helps to have power; but when you can't get it to the ground it doesn't help much more. And you recommend pretty much taking off the rear end and putting a GT axle on instead? I'll have to look into that :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
406 Posts
true on the power movers, it helps to have power; but when you can't get it to the ground it doesn't help much more. And you recommend pretty much taking off the rear end and putting a GT axle on instead? I'll have to look into that :bigthumbsup
Based on my research it is only a couple of hundred more to go to the bigger rear end, and it is much stronger so it future proofs you a bit if you plan on adding a ton more power.
LCA's and an UCA will help as well...

·
Registered
328 Posts

Have you ever been to newtakeoffs web site? Well if you ahve they sell a 8.8 rearend with 3.73 gears for the GT will this fit and work on the V6 also?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Have you ever been to newtakeoffs web site? Well if you ahve they sell a 8.8 rearend with 3.73 gears for the GT will this fit and work on the V6 also?
Yeo it fits just fine. All you need is a new pinion flange so it bolts up the the V6 driveshaft. They come on some of them or can be bought for about $50 (I think)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts