Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions fellas and fellets. I figure since i'm gonna stay N/A i wanted to go all out with mods. next will be the driveshaft, maybe headers(doubt it), and comp cams. the reason for this post is the comp cams. saw an article on the fastfordsandmustangs(magazine website, that shows excellent gains when installed. any of you guys running comp cams and which ones do you run? what is the power gain, and what are the downsides. all my parts will be installed by either ford or steeda. who makes the very best cams? my goal is 350rwhp n/a.
So far i have steeda ultimate power pack, magnaflow tru x-pipe w/ cats, steeda axle back exhaust. the power pack includes cold air kit, delete plates, pullies, 4.10 gears(changing to 3.73). I'm also thinking of a water pump, and is their anything i can add to the mix? throttle body spacer perhaps:nono:!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I have the Stage 3s installed in FRPP PnP heads. It's a good cam, not too terribly aggressive. With what you have listed you can come close to 350. May need the headers and water pump to push you over the top.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
forget the spacer sounds like your just trying to nickel and dime power.

Get your self some LT's and some Nitrous

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
lol o hahah... I still think Nitrous is a good idea. I would of went that way after doing some serious thought over FI. Just cause you can go 200+ with a built motor for less then it would cost for FI and then save up for your FI system while your driving around a 500 hp nitrous car.

Once you go FI just sale your kit im sure it wont be hard to sale, just make sure you dont get a motor with high compression though lol that wont be good with FI.

sorry i went way off topic but I would check out those hot rod cams i dont know any thing about them but every one seems to talk about them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the info. stl w/ the comp cans and my current set up what else do i need to make sure the cams work excellent? how much am i looking at price wise for the install?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
thanks guys for the info. stl w/ the comp cans and my current set up what else do i need to make sure the cams work excellent? how much am i looking at price wise for the install?
Nothing really. Unless you want to drop another $2500 on CNC ported heads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only thing I can recomend is, having read the same article when it was published and having just bought my first cam from comp cams, is that you should probably look at upgrading your valve springs. The writer mentioned that the stock valve springs aren't ideally stong enough to handle what even the stage one cam shafts can offer. I think Bee Hive brand valve springs are what Comp Cams recomend and sells.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
The only thing I can recomend is, having read the same article when it was published and having just bought my first cam from comp cams, is that you should probably look at upgrading your valve springs. The writer mentioned that the stock valve springs aren't ideally stong enough to handle what even the stage one cam shafts can offer. I think Bee Hive brand valve springs are what Comp Cams recomend and sells.
Good point... Anything above a Stage 2 reqires new springs and retainers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if i go with the stage 2 comp cams, 3.73 gears(recommended), steeda ultimate power pack, magnaflow tru x pipe, and steeda axle back, what rwhp do you guys forsee me laying down? is the water pump necessary? will i be at a "reliable" 350rwhp? if that is the case consider the cams purchased! Also what will an aluminum driveshaft offer to this set up equation?:D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would look into a good set of stainless steel LT Headers and just get your heads port and polished. The stock heads are actually pretty good after doing a good P&P job and just upgrade to S/S Valves and Springs.

With a good tuner you should make some good power. I just say a guy push a stroker motor with all similar mods but BBR stage 2's on a turbo block so the compression is lower pull 365ish uncorrected. I think though it would be good to get some LT's and P&P heads. I would say to do your heads before you do cams but thats your choice.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
so if i go with the stage 2 comp cams, 3.73 gears(recommended), steeda ultimate power pack, magnaflow tru x pipe, and steeda axle back, what rwhp do you guys forsee me laying down? is the water pump necessary? will i be at a "reliable" 350rwhp? if that is the case consider the cams purchased! Also what will an aluminum driveshaft offer to this set up equation?:D
You might be in the 340 range with all that. The driveshaft will help to free up 8-10 hp lost from the greater rotational weight of the stock d/s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out the new Ford Racing "hot cams". There is a video on you-tube and they sound great. Old muscle car lope.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
You might be in the 340 range with all that. The driveshaft will help to free up 8-10 hp lost from the greater rotational weight of the stock d/s.
the driveshaft really frees up that much HP? i thought it was primarily a weight reducing mod, i didn't realize it gave you back some HP.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
the driveshaft really frees up that much HP? i thought it was primarily a weight reducing mod, i didn't realize it gave you back some HP.
Absolutely... Same as replacing the flywheel with a lighter one. Less rotational weight=less force to turn=hp recovered. Now I'm not exactly sure on the numbers, but it is more than just a weight thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.