Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Stage 3 Comp Cams. After reading the article in the latest 5.0 Mustang magazine I decided to take the plunge. I was going to go the Whipple way but I'm really more about show than go and really love the lope cams provide. I will also be installing the Boss throttle body and new timing cover. My engine builder is doing me a great deal on the install. This will be his first cam installation on the new 5.0 so it will benefit him as well. My tuner says he has not seen a big increase in hp/torque and actually recommended not to do it but somebody has got to be the guinea pig.

The 5.0 article Mustang is equipped the same as mine and produced 477hp at 7k. If I can approach that I will be satisfied. Will report back and let you guys know the final results :bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
538 Posts
I read that same article. Looks pretty interesting. I would try to setup the remote tuning with Lund. See if your tuner would do that. Would be a learning experience for him too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that same article. Looks pretty interesting. I would try to setup the remote tuning with Lund. See if your tuner would do that. Would be a learning experience for him too.
I will be sure to mention that to him. I'm sure he has also read that article and hopefully gained some knowledge from it:bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm interested in seeing the gains..

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would order the MMR cyclinder #8 fix also. Might as well, since your motor is going to be opened up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I've read that on these cars do to the tivct that bigger cams will not change the idle. The factory cams do have the specs for a rough idle but is tuned out hence the ghost cam tunes.

Anyway this is more of a question than a comment. Hopefully someone that knows can chime in.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I've read that on these cars do to the tivct that bigger cams will not change the idle. The factory cams do have the specs for a rough idle but is tuned out hence the ghost cam tunes.

Anyway this is more of a question than a comment. Hopefully someone that knows can chime in.

Different cams can give performance with these cars. They just move the lift and duration even more or less depending on the cam shape. TiVCT is limited. 45 degree change is all it will do. Cam design, however, has much more room to grow. Is it worth dropping $1400 for? We'll see I guess but I would F/I my car first before I did cams.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im real curious about this, I always loved the thought of forced induction, but if you can get close to 500 rwhp with some cams a boss intake and long tubes, thats friggin sweet!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Different cams can give performance with these cars. They just move the lift and duration even more or less depending on the cam shape. TiVCT is limited. 45 degree change is all it will do. Cam design, however, has much more room to grow. Is it worth dropping $1400 for? We'll see I guess but I would F/I my car first before I did cams.
You are right on sir. As far as the money and the value, that never comes into my thought process. I'm 65 and only have so many years to enjoy my "youth" again :bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is awesome! Im on the edge of my seat waiting to see real life results with a cam swap in these cars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a long discussion with my builder and especially my tuner we decided to drop back to the Stage 2 cams.I just hope my builder can get the ordered changed before shipping as to avoid delay on install. My tuner says he has had great success with Stage 2 but idle problems with Stage 3. He told me it would be great one day and have probs the next. I deferred to their experience and knowledge. They are among the best in the country at what they do. Also I do not need the new timing cover so that's a savings. Installed scheduled for next week :bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
234 Posts
So, out of curiousity, which builder are you working with on this project?

I'm very curious to hear how this turns out, so I'll be keeping tabs on this thread!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stage 2 Cam Install

B Square, This install sounds great. I hope it turns out as good as the article. Good Luck keep us posted .

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
After a long discussion with my builder and especially my tuner we decided to drop back to the Stage 2 cams.I just hope my builder can get the ordered changed before shipping as to avoid delay on install. My tuner says he has had great success with Stage 2 but idle problems with Stage 3. He told me it would be great one day and have probs the next. I deferred to their experience and knowledge. They are among the best in the country at what they do. Also I do not need the new timing cover so that's a savings. Installed scheduled for next week :bigthumbsup

B

I was wondering why you went with Stage 3...that is REALLY aggressive lift for a variable cam setup. From what I understand, you need to run a blower/turbo or have at least longtubes otherwise I'm sure you'd have serious issues with stability. I would think your fuel/air ratios would be all over the place at idle and really stress the rotating assembly with the unnecessary duration.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was wondering why you went with Stage 3...that is REALLY aggressive lift for a variable cam setup. From what I understand, you need to run a blower/turbo or have at least longtubes otherwise I'm sure you'd have serious issues with stability. I would think your fuel/air ratios would be all over the place at idle and really stress the rotating assembly with the unnecessary duration.
Agree and my tuner does also :bigthumbsup
B

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, out of curiousity, which builder are you working with on this project?

I'm very curious to hear how this turns out, so I'll be keeping tabs on this thread!
My builder is Shrader Performance. His specialty is modular Ford engines and he has built some monsters. A real stickler for details, they don't leave his shop unless the work is perfect. You can catch him on Pinks and Pass Time. He started The Yellow Ford Registry and also makes rear seat deletes for most makes.

Shrader Performance – modular Ford engine experts

B

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would go with these also if i could find a good shop that could do the swap for the same price as the cams or less maybe?

stage 3 still are not that big (they do work with stock springs after all) not even as much lift as a boss 13mm. the duration is big and thats good from what i hear these coyotes dont need a ton of lift.

and you get to keep the gt springs.

looking at the dyno curves you lose power up to 4500rpm but thats probably down to lost tivct. above 4500 the gains are very nice. i would do this mod for sure if i had a shop capable nearby for decent $. Some of the shops here have ridiculous rates.

G

·
0 Posts
If you are changing your cams it is very advisable to upgrade the springs as well. Not doing so runs the risk of valve float at high rpms, which is a real possibility for the Coyote at 7,500rpm+ and also where you will see HP gains if any.

Me personally, I am not a fan of restricting Ti-VCT. Running bigger cams in our engines means putting limits on the variable cam timing or locking them out completely, which messes with the overall powerband. If it were my car, I'd get a built bottom end with pistons that have custom valve-reliefs so as to run the bigger cams with full variable cam timing remaining.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts