Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the discussion we had about the importance of reaction times over in Joe's thread that we hijacked to hell and back got me thinking.

I'm one of those who keep extensive records of every pass I make in the hopes that someday I'll learn something and not keep making the same dumb mistakes over and over.

I pulled up the records to see how having a better reaction time than my opponent played into the final outcome of the race. No big surprises were found but I thought it was an interesting illustration of just how important winning the battle of the tree is, at least in my case.

I didn't look at the reaction times as a pure number but only whether my R/T was better than the opponent.

In my brief career as a bracket racer so far I've run 46 rounds in actual competition. That in itself surprised me a little as I have 313 passes total so it seems like it should be more, but all the rest are either test and tune passes or time trials. My total won loss record is 27-19.

In the 46 rounds I've run I had the better R/T in 30 of them and was beaten at the tree in the other 16. Already this looks very similar to the won loss record.

In the 30 where I had the better light my record is 23-7 and investigating further I see that of the 7 losses in 2 of them I had a mechanical failure and in 3 others I broke out. Taking too much stripe when I have the lead is a weakness of mine as I'm not good at judging it at all, so I probably gave away the win in those 3 races.

Looking at the 16 rounds where I was beaten at the tree my record is a miserable 4-12. And even in the 4 wins I think most of them were against noobs who missed their dial by a lot and handed me the win on a silver platter.

As if I didn't already know this all just reinforces the fact that I need to work on hammering the tree more than anything else. When I beat the tree I win 76.7% of the time. And when I don't I lose 75% of the time. That's pretty convincing to me.

Anybody else keep these kind of stats they'd be willing to share?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Are your running off a pro or sportsman tree? I haven't been keeping stats but I think my W/L ratio is like 3 for 500 this season.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We run off a .500 pro tree.

And I'll bet your W/L ratio is a little better than that, although I've been in those slumps when it feels that way!

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
curious to check thru mine from last season(when i was actually going rounds)..im with Jim this season in the "i suck" category lol

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I am always tring to get a better number than a consistant number. So I guess I am the worst for bracket racing.:rollgrin:
Maybe someday after I get a much better number.:winks

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I go for a quick reaction time my 60' suffers the other make or brake a race time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I evaluate my season the same way and look for something to improve. In addition to W/L by reaction time I have stats to reflect my red light loses against my opponents red light losses, right lane vs left lane, W/L against faster cars, W/L against slower cars, and W/L per round.

I think since your on a pro tree going red isn't a problem. Futher (going out on a limb) I think that your going to get pretty big margins in your reaction time vs you opponent.

Your win ratio is pretty good when your win the RT battle. Nothing can be done when mechanical problems strike. You gave 3 away...which will happen in the course of a season. Work on how much stripe you take and try to get one of those losses back.

Your hit the nail on the head, when you lose the RT battle you usually lose the race. Break down how many races your opponent won the RT battle by .040 or less. Those are possible winable races. Again top end racing (hold then back in). In addition to getting a practice tree you again might want to work on the top end game.

When reviewing you stats you will be the most brutal person to give an evalue. Keep it positive. Your doing a lot of things right.

The better you become the harder it is to improve. Improving on your 75% win with a better RT is much harder than to improve your 75% loss when you lose the RT battle. Focus on the lights as your primary mission and the top end secondary. Next season you might be happy with the lights and need to work on improvement elsewhere.

I'm struggleing this season and do evals on every weekends results. Its like a juggling act. Focus on one thing and something else crashes. lol. I'm having issues staying focused on the tree. Like hot and cold water. Relaxing and hitting my practice tree and trying again next weekend. Big thing to remember is not to be too harsh with oneself. We are only human and are attempting to be perfect bracket racers. :wavey

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kazman, thanks for your input, as usual it's pretty much on the money.

I almost never red light. When I do it's because of a brain fart like the time I for some reason started to launch when the other lane went, even though I was giving him a 3 second head start! I tried to catch myself at the last instant, but too late. Boy did I feel stupid after that one. I also went red when my line lock didn't hold and I rolled out of the beams, but I've never gone red because I beat the tree.

I think that getting better R/T's should be my first priority at this point, so that's where I'll concentrate my efforts. I have to settle down and be focused at the tree every time. I know that if I'm mentally ready I can cut a good light, but it takes so little to distract me!

I also know that I'm weak at the top end racing but if I can win the battle at the tree I'll have more room to play with up top so improving at the start can only help me at the finish.

A lot of it just comes down to seat time. The 46 rounds I've run so far aren't really much in the grand scheme of things. Some of the guys I race against have been doing this for years and have hundreds of rounds under their belts. As with most things the more you practice, the better you get.

The racing experience I had before I built this car was 30 years ago and with a car that ran high 14's, and then a car that could just break into the high 13's.

When I first started running the car I have now it seemed incredibly fast to me. The whole pass was like a blur, it seemed like I didn't have time to look for the other car or anything else. By the time I launched and shifted three times the stripe was there before I knew it.

I guess I know why racers always want a faster car, because now that I'm used to the car it doesn't seem fast anymore. Now I do have time to look for the opponent before the stripe, so I can start working on top end racing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I...so that's where I'll concentrate my efforts. I have to settle down and be focused at the tree every time. I know that if I'm mentally ready I can cut a good light, but it takes so little to distract me!

This is my exact problem. I'm loosing focus on the tree. I'm locked on a specific dot on the bulb then get distracted. I end up looking away then back on the spot and its already on. Sounds so so simple however things get fouled up in competetion. The sad part is that I'm usually the first car out and I'm going off the second amber. I only need to stay focused for 3-4 seconds the max. In that short time period I get stuff in my head and start thinking. I believe its just going to take seat time to get the demons out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I almost never red light. When I do it's because of a brain fart like the time I for some reason started to launch when the other lane went, even though I was giving him a 3 second head start! I tried to catch myself at the last instant, but too late.
Now this is a brain fart. I was first at a red light on a public highway. I waited a long time and there was an old full size ford with big old pipes sticking out the back making a 49 state legal V-8 sound next to me. When he got the green light my left foot actually twitched even though it was a left turn light for his lane only. This may be the early stages of Alzheimer's.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Here's my RT's from last Saturday.

Time shots; .023, .049, 089, .006

Elimations: -.021, .011, .133

The -.021 was a good hit. I mistaged the car and was in too deep. Exactly .026 too deep. Can anyone guess the two lights where I lost focus (brain fart) on the bulb? Which RT doesn't look like the others. :gringreen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.