Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first problem with my new mustang gt today :sosad:
I was driving home from work (on a full tank of gas - only 20 miles on the trip-o-meter since my last fill up). Suddenly the computer beeped twice, when i looked at the readout display it said "LOW FUEL, DTE FLI FUEL ERR". I then looked at the fuel gauge and the needle was on empty!!! My first reaction was to look behind me to see if i was leaking fuel, but i clearly wasnt. After about 2 minutes the needle just went back up to full and the display went back to its normal state. I thought the glitch was over, but then ten minutes later (its about a 30 minute drive from work to home) it happened again. This time the needle stayed on empty all the way back home!!!

Has anyone had this happen before or know what it is???? I'm taking the car to my local ford service shop first thing tommorrow morning but i was hoping to get a little knowledge about what the problem might be before i do so. Please help guys...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
your fuel sending unit is going bye-bye - happened to me twice, both on full tanks. Then they had to replace the fuel sending unit. A few others on this board have mentioned the same thing - I think this is another one of those items we have to add to the ever growing list of "issues."

You'll probably get an engine light pretty soon, so I would get it into your dealer soon.

heh...heh...I did the same thing as you and then stopped the car to look if there was a leak! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Yes! this happened to me twice in a an hour's span on one day, and then sporadically over about a week or so. I told me dealer about it when it was serviced, but nothing was done, and it went away, and hasn't happened in a little over two months. My check engine light was on as well on two of those occasions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just took my car in to get it checked. I have to wait till later this afternoon for an answer, but the guy at the service department who received my car said it might be contaminated gas??
I some how doubt this since now i know others have had the exact same problem and the cause is the fuel sender. Guess i'll have to wait for an official answer later today.

And thanks for your help guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
this afternoon?!?! wow, my service dept. told me in 10 minutes - then again, I had the engine light on so there was at least an error code. If that is not the case with yours then they may be checking on other things. Still, that seems like a long time.

Good luck - hope it's fixed soon, and RIGHT!! :drink:


draekus said:
Just took my car in to get it checked. I have to wait till later this afternoon for an answer, but the guy at the service department who received my car said it might be contaminated gas??
I some how doubt this since now i know others have had the exact same problem and the cause is the fuel sender. Guess i'll have to wait for an official answer later today.

And thanks for your help guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i just got my car back. Basicly the ford tech guy said that its contaminated fuel. Told me to use any type of gas treatment (like STP).
I told him (very nicely) that i don't believe that to be true. That i've heard of this exact problem before and the solution is to replace the fuel sender.
Thats when the guy admitted that i had heard correctly.
He said although replacing the fuel sender is the ultimate solution, they could not do that yet becaue their system check only indicated that there was a high level of sulfur in the gas sender ( he personally knows that this is a sign that the fuel sender is going bad because he's seen it happen to other 05 owners and had theirs eventually replaced). He said i would have to wait till i got the "check engine" light or untill their system check said the fuel sender was malfunctioning to have the part replaced. Untill there is a definte sign that the fuel sender is broken he cant do anything. (personally i think getting this error more than once and in several identical model cars is enough of a sign to get the fuel sender replaced. especially since he has seen this happen already and knows eventually it will have to be done anyways...
what do you guys think of this...should i go to a different ford service center or just wait till the error happens again... (meanwhile i did use the gas treatment as instructed just in case)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
unfortunately that seems like typical Ford - I went through all kinds of trouble to get the front popping noise fixed - even after a couple of "repairs" before the TSB, and then scheduling an appointment FOR the TSB repair, they still did not order the parts until they verified it was the problem, and even though I had already been in three times now for that problem. So I ended up having to make a 4th trip for one problem. It seems they only think about their convenience and not the customer. Wonder why they are loosing so much business.

Sorry to hear about that man - would be nice to just get the things fixed and enjoy the car instead of repeated trips for repair.


draekus said:
Well i just got my car back. Basicly the ford tech guy said that its contaminated fuel. Told me to use any type of gas treatment (like STP).
I told him (very nicely) that i don't believe that to be true. That i've heard of this exact problem before and the solution is to replace the fuel sender.
Thats when the guy admitted that i had heard correctly.
He said although replacing the fuel sender is the ultimate solution, they could not do that yet becaue their system check only indicated that there was a high level of sulfur in the gas sender ( he personally knows that this is a sign that the fuel sender is going bad because he's seen it happen to other 05 owners and had theirs eventually replaced). He said i would have to wait till i got the "check engine" light or untill their system check said the fuel sender was malfunctioning to have the part replaced. Untill there is a definte sign that the fuel sender is broken he cant do anything. (personally i think getting this error more than once and in several identical model cars is enough of a sign to get the fuel sender replaced. especially since he has seen this happen already and knows eventually it will have to be done anyways...
what do you guys think of this...should i go to a different ford service center or just wait till the error happens again... (meanwhile i did use the gas treatment as instructed just in case)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Dte Fli Data Error

I've been getting this error for the last nine months on my 2006 Mustang GT. I've ran the error by the dealer a couple of times over the phone and they've had no idea, just bring it in. Well, knowing computers and intermittent problems like I do I've held off trying to get some depth to the symptoms (i.e. does it do it in the morning, after it warms up, when the tank is full or empty, etc.). It's rather random but I did take a right turn in a 'somewhat spirited manner' the other day and, sure enough, the error popped up briefly. I believe it's in the sending unit(s) and there seems to be some activity on this error in the other forums too. I have an appointment w/ the dealer on Monday and I'll let you know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
I road raced my car at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend and this happened twice. There I was, flailing away and suddenly began hearing a warning beep. The low fuel warning was showing and the gauge was past E so I aborted my run and came in for fuel. To my suprise it only took 6 gallons and then read full. Two runs later it did the same thing. It has never happened on the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I had same thing happend to my 06 GT recently. Delear replaced both fuel senders/pumps. Does anyone who had these things replaced has the problem showed up again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
ME-jazz said:
I had same thing happend to my 06 GT recently. Delear replaced both fuel senders/pumps. Does anyone who had these things replaced has the problem showed up again?
Did you just tell the dealer and he went ahead and replaced them? I assume the gauge was not on empty when you went in, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Do a thread search for the error.
It has been throughly discussed and remidies are there.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top