Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I drove my car a round trip to McDonalds which is probably at longest 2 miles. When I started the car after the drive thru, a check engine light was on and on the way back the car was kind of sluggish. So I got back and hooked up my SCT tuner and it says the codes are P0300 and P2116. I looked up the codes and there was not info about P2116, but I found P03000 and many people said it was a damaged coil and I happened to just have my MSD coils laying around, haven't had time to install them, so I went out to the car after letting it sit for about 30 minutes, and the engine was so hot I could not work on the car yet, so I brought a fan in and let it sit for about another 45 minutes and ten it was bearable to work on. As I was taking out the new coils, some of the coils were way hotter than others, to the point where my thumb is burnt from a couple of them. After I installed the new coils, I started up the car and it started up like a champ and ran great, just went around the block. This morning I drove to work, about 5 miles, and the engine was running hot again. Is the other code a sign that the engine should be running hot? Is there something else wrong?

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I found this in a google seach for ford Mustang P2116 error code:

"P2116 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor "E" Minimum Stop Performance"

Not sure if this is your problem,but might be something to check out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the same thing I just don't know what that means

·
Banned
612 Posts
I pulled this from a google search:

A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

P2116-ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION
SENSOR 2 MINIMUM STOP​
PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Over-heated coils will cause misfire (the P0300 code). In these cars it’s hard to believe that could happen though, as the coils are only strobed “on” for a few milliseconds per firing event. But if a couple were hot enough to cause serious burns to your thumb that’s not a good sign. Is the engine cooling fan coming on ok? Sounds like things are kind of hot in general in there. Have you measured your electrical system voltage when at 2,000 RPM? Should be around 14.5 volts. A very long shot could be a defective filter capacitor (in the wiring diagram C174 & C194). If one of these opened it’s conceivable that the excess noise could cause false triggering of the ignition system and coils seeing more action then they’re supposed to. Not sure what the caps look like or where they’re located on the 4.6. On the 4.0 it’s a “U” shaped black thing that screws to a metal ground near the coil and has a wire coming out of it that disappears into the wiring harness. There’s two on the 4.6L (one per coil bank) and you’ll need a capacitance meter to test them. Check out your cooling fan before anything else though.

The P2116 code sounds like the throttle pedal sensor may be getting flakey.

Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I read the same thing about the P0300 code so I just replaced them all. At my work, I checked and all of the coils ended up being fine though. It just seems like they some how over heated.

As of today, I have had no more problems with it since that incident. A coworker has a very nice snap on computer that I believe goes through and checks everything in the engine and everything checked out. No codes were on and the car is running fine. The engine temp was fine also. From what I see, the fan is coming on fine. If i notice otherwise, I will be sure to check everything out like you said. I was getting on it with him in the car and the computer on and the temp never went above 95 degrees C (what the computer read).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts