Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my bama 87performance tune in for a day and half now in my 11 auto 3.7, and a few observations. It now shifts past redline, is this safe? Also I have noticed it seems to what sounds like ping, or knock right as it shifts,...it this a concern, or is the ecu learning knock boundaries still?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Call Bama and get them to lower your red line back down if thats what you want. The pinging you may have not so good gas. Call bama they will help.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
BAMA generally sets the shift at 7100-7200, lots of guys will take them even higher. The motor has a plenty stout bottom end, it's no problem.

Couldn't tell you about the pinging without hearing it.

Try changing where you buy gas.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm ok with the redline, it's only very brief, I'm more concerned with if what I am perceiving as knock is knock, or something else. Does the ecu record knock events?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't the ecu push the timing up in search of the most power until it knocks? Since it's a fresh tune could this be what's happening?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
From a stop take off quick (pedal 3/4 down) with it in second gear. If it's spark knock you'll hear it then. At least that's what a mechanic I know told me. Almost sounds like marbles being shaken.

Try buying some 89 or even 91/93 gas. Drive it a bit to get the gas mixed up and if you still hear it, I would bet against that being the cause.

Generally, you'll only hear it when accelerating easily at a low rpm, or from a stop, if it happens at higher RPM than I wouldn't guess spark knock. And if you hear it at 7000+ rpm and it is spark knock, well thats a problem.

As for the shifts, they can change your shift points to where you want them. I think it can be done with the adjust options menu too, I chickened out and had a new tune written, as the race tune shifted at 500rpm past redline on mine. Freaked me out everytime I watched it happen.

Also, you can datalog your car and check the knock sensors.

-Chris

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone, it was deffinately at the upper end of the rpm range, and right at gear shift. It's too late to data log tonight, but I will tomorrow after work and see what's up. After logging, what am I exactly looking for?(sorry for being newbtastic)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no, I would never actually change anything with the tune itself, I just want to data log and see if there are actual knock events happening. And if so, what am I looking for.
But thank you for your concern :)

J

·
0 Posts
Sometimes mine sounds a little gritty when it gets close to 7K, but never a knock or pinging sound. And on my race tune it often doesn't shift till near 7,500rpm. It hasn't blown up on me yet. lol :shiny:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Doesn't the ecu push the timing up in search of the most power until it knocks? Since it's a fresh tune could this be what's happening?
I can't share any mechanical knowledge, but I can tell you my experience. I ran the 87 street tune for about three tanks. The pinging/knocking/annoying noise was always there. It would occur even I moderately accelerated at 1200-1300 RPM. After switching to 91 street, the pinging is completely gone.

So I'm thinking it has more to do with octane than the tune, although I haven't reverted back to stock on 87 octane to test that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't share any mechanical knowledge, but I can tell you my experience. I ran the 87 street tune for about three tanks. The pinging/knocking/annoying noise was always there. It would occur even I moderately accelerated at 1200-1300 RPM. After switching to 91 street, the pinging is completely gone.

So I'm thinking it has more to do with octane than the tune, although I haven't reverted back to stock on 87 octane to test that.
Now I havent had any noise that I have heard at anything under WOT, I tried to invoke it by putting it locked in to second gear and punching it from a stop.....nothing, not a peep. I tried to data log with my SCT tuner, and the only pid that would log is spark,....and I didnt find anything to do with knock count, or knock retard as an option to monitor. Im wondering if what I am hearing is a mechanical sound having to do with the Ti-VCT...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to Dan at BAMA, very, very nice guy. Told him about my concerns, and he is going to dial back my timing 1* and see if that helps. Im still not sure if I am hearing mechanical noise or knocking, but the added safety of less timing is fine with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts