Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I recently had the throwout bearing explode on me, so I had my clutch replaced. I went with a RAM HDX with a Ford Racing pilot bearing for replacement. I picked up the car today, and everything seems fine, but there are a couple of things I am unsure about. First, when I am starting off in first gear, the car shudders a little, not much, but it wasn't doing it before. I'm unsure if this is "chatter", but since I haven't felt it before, i wanna know if its normal for a better than OEM clutch. Second, I can smell the clutch. It's not terrible, but obvious. Should I chalk this up to a new clutch and it's something that will go away, or do I have an issue? Searching the internet, I've gotten conflicting answers. I'm also wondering if it's my driving style causing these issues. If anyone is curious, the flywheel wasn't replaced or resurfaced because I was unaware (forgive my ignorance) that it needed to be until after the fact. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
you shouldent smell clutch, im thinking either the flywheel was resurfaced ( a no no on later fords ) or it wasent cleaned, or the throw out isint engageing all the way. does it slip at all? not saying wail on it yet.. but youll tell if it slips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No slipping. I haven't really gotten into it yet, but so far the grip is the best I've ever gotten out of a clutch. Really strong. If it is the flywheel not being cleaned, will this continue? Also, any thoughts on the shudder?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Under what conditions are you smelling the friction material? Just regular driving?

Chatter can result from lack of resurfacing of the F/W, but it can also be a condition of that particular clutch and your driving habits on it. When my stock clutch died, it went slowly, so I got used to driving around on a pedal with a buttery feel to it. When I replaced it with a King Cobra clutch (which is not aggressive at all), I felt like I had stepped into a tractor trailer. It was just a completely foreign experience. Take it easy on the clutch, get some miles/seat time, and let us know if the chatter feel goes away as you learn the new friction point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can really smell it after red light to red light city driving. Interestingly, that is also when I have been feeling the shudder, on those slow starts. When you say a foreign experience, that's a perfect way to describe the new clutch. I did find this paragraph this morning buried in RAM's website:

"If you install a performance clutch in a car with less than 3.78 to 1 rear and 2.60 to 1 first gear ratios you probably will experience some clutch chatter . If you have this problem you may have to change your driving technique to minimize the chatter. Or better, change the rear gear."

As I understand it, my 1st gear is 3.38. Is that considered less or more than 2.60?
It's looking like I need to take your advice and just get used to driving it, and maybe it will go away. (or maybe not:)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I can really smell it after red light to red light city driving. Interestingly, that is also when I have been feeling the shudder, on those slow starts. When you say a foreign experience, that's a perfect way to describe the new clutch. I did find this paragraph this morning buried in RAM's website:

"If you install a performance clutch in a car with less than 3.78 to 1 rear and 2.60 to 1 first gear ratios you probably will experience some clutch chatter . If you have this problem you may have to change your driving technique to minimize the chatter. Or better, change the rear gear."

As I understand it, my 1st gear is 3.38. Is that considered less or more than 2.60?
It's looking like I need to take your advice and just get used to driving it, and maybe it will go away. (or maybe not:)
3.38>2.60

But your differential gear, if its the stock gear, is less then 3.78. Another factor is the size of your wheels. Are they bigger than 17's?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels are 17s. So would I be better off with a rear end gear like a 3.73 or 4.10? Because that's something I want to do anyway, and it'll be easier to justify to my wife :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
831 Posts
The wheels are 17s. So would I be better off with a rear end gear like a 3.73 or 4.10? Because that's something I want to do anyway, and it'll be easier to justify to my wife :bigthumbsup
lol, yeah you will take off easier, so there will be less shutters at red lights.

Plus you could tell your wife that you should get a little better gas mileage around city as long as they dont cause you to constantly be gettin-on-it. Which they tend to do :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, well I guess that nails down the shudder. Also, I just took the car out for a spin around the city, and didn't smell anything, so, looks like I'm in good shape. Thanks to all for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.