Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a RAM 8 Bolt Steel flywheel from American Muscle, along to with a RAM clutch kit,

The mechanic calls me and tells me that my car requires a 6 bolt fly wheel.

I was doing my research and found out only 01 + GT's have a 6 bolt flywheel... So why does my 1999 MUSTANG GT have a 6 bolt...?

Engine swap? why would this be? DO SOME 99's have 6 bolts?
Need help, i'm super confused!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Count the number of bolts on the valve cover. This will help determine if you have a Windsor or Romeo.

Normally Winsor has 8 bolt and Romeo have 6.

However....., there are "some" Windsor motors in the field that have 6 bolt cranks. They are very rare. Ford had a parts shortage. And since the parts are interchangeable Ford solved the shortage that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I ordered the 6 bolt flywheel in the mail now, hopefully it'll fit, and I counted 11 bolts on the valve covers, which is romeo I believe... And unless like burns said, that SOME Windsor are 6 bolts, than my car has a romeo block or an engine swap, which I wont complain.. newer engine lol..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump

Just bumping I really need some help with this

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Bump back at you.

How about posting how many bolts are on the valve covers?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
He said it had 11 bolts, which means it's a Romeo engine.

Hopefully they swapped it with a newer engine, there's another guy on here who just found out that he had an NPI engine in his car because the engine was blown, so the dealer popped an NPI in it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn

Well I ordered the 6 Bolt flywheel. My only worry is that I also ordered teh RAM clutch for 99 - 01 GT's, the mechanic said the clutch matched the STOCK fly wheel (a 6 bolt) but I dk if the RAM 6 bolt flywheel is gonna matcht he RAM clutch for 99 -01 GT's, what a pain in my ass.

what are NPI and PI engines?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts