Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to possibly build a new engine this fall. I currenty have 65 mustan coupe with a 351C. The engine runs great. The only problem is that it is a pain to work on, it is expensive and hard to find parts. The engine barely fits into the engine compartment. The guy I bought the car from put the engine in. I was thinking about building a 347 stroker but I have heard mixed reviews on them. People say that the 331 is a better engine. Then I've heard that a 351W would be a good engine. I want an engine the can perform but that can also be driven on the street for a long time with no problems. Does anybody have any advise? This would be my 1st engine build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to keep it around $5,000. I would like to supercharge it one day. So if I got 400 out ot the engine naturally I would be happy.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the 347s if built properly have no problems. but, personally i would keep/build the 351C. be different, not like everybody else! lots of h.p. potential!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
A mild 351W will give the most power backed by the most reliability and have good replacement/aftermarket parts availibility compared to part availibility of the Cleveland. It will still be a tight fit compaired to a 289/302. Keep in mind I said "mild". When ever you build a motor for more power - you trade power for reliability. A 351W can be built to 300 FWHP with very little mods/upgrades whereas a 302 with 300 HP will have more race-like mods, hence reducing it's reliability.

Stoking a motor is a great way to increase the cubic inch displacement without increasing the weight of the motor, but I would consider that a race-like mod. So, stroking to 331 is less of a mod than the 347, but still taking the motor beyond it's original design.

I opted for the middle of the road. I built a 289/331 stroker to about 300 HP. With the exception of the stroke kit the build parts where on the less expensive side, but in order to acheive 300 HP without the stroker kit, things like compression ratio (fuel octane & forged pistons), the heads, cam & solid lifters would have to be upgraded.

There is no replacement for displacement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts