Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i purchased a "superchip" from a speedshop that was put into my car...would it have been better to buy a tuner and retune myself? I've been told by them that if i change things on my car like add nitrous or gear change that inorder for it to work right it would cost me the same original price of the chip to have it reprogrammed...all this computer stuff i have no clue how it works...can anyone explain to me?

·
Registered
364 Posts
My opinion: Unless you really know what you're doing -- or -- are going to be working with a dyno shop, you probably did as well with the chip as with a handheld tuner. The "performance tune" in the handhelds is probably comparable to what you have, the only difference being that you won't be able to tweak your tune based on future dyno results.

Whether it was "worth it" all depends how much you paid. A handheld tuner is about $400 retail. If you paid significantly less than that, then you did ok and "got what you paid for."

ItsaV6iswear! said:
ok i purchased a "superchip" from a speedshop that was put into my car...would it have been better to buy a tuner and retune myself? I've been told by them that if i change things on my car like add nitrous or gear change that inorder for it to work right it would cost me the same original price of the chip to have it reprogrammed...all this computer stuff i have no clue how it works...can anyone explain to me?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm feeling stupid then...i paid $250 for chip and there is a dyno here close by where i could have retweaked it for the future mods but now if i get the under manifold NOS kit i was planning on that's another 250 to get the chip redone also....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Should've got the tuner. You also should have asked us first. Shame on you! :sterb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm fairly new to the boards...i got the chip not long after i got the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.