Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the 5 second pedal in and 5 seconds out to reset the PCM I think. Car runs 50% better. My question is this

PCM does what? Short answer Ok

ECU does what? Short answer Ok

Adaptive learning is run by PCM, ECU or what?

Does a tune update both PCM and ECU?

I am trying to figure out why with a custom tune do I still need to reset the PCM every 2 days for my car to be consistent?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you had it custom dyno tuned, bring it back to the tuner and explain what it's doing to him. If it's a canned tune, call him and do the same, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup P.S. That's the first time, I've heard that happen with a tune.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had it custom dyno tuned, bring it back to the tuner and explain what it's doing to him. If it's a canned tune, call him and do the same, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup P.S. That's the first time, I've heard that happen with a tune.
It does it on all 14 of my tunes from Brenspeed, tillmans and Bama. And they all tell me adaptive learning is turned off

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing. If I load a different tune do I need to recal the PCM?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
PCM and ECU are one and the same. Both are terms for your car's computer, which has an adaptive learning algorithm programmed into it that saves your driving habit parameters, max speed and max rpm attained, and if the engine hit the rev limiter in the KAM(keep alive memory).
Installing a new tune, reinstalling the same tune, or disconnecting the battery wipes the KAM's memory clean. Some claim that disconnecting the battery does the most thorough cleaning job of the KAM.
Doing the 5 sec. in and 5 sec. out gas pedal procedure recalibrates the gas pedal's and the throttle plate's relative positions so that the throttle plate is fully closed when the gas pedal is released, and fully open when the gas pedal is floored. It's recommended that this be performed every time a new tune is installed, the same tune is reinstalled, or the battery is disconnected.

Out of curiosity, do you normally drive aggressively or conservatively?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've never had to recalibrate my gas pedal or anything else when loading new tunes. Never even heard of that. Sounds like you could have an issue with the PCM. If you have several different tunes then try loading each one of those. If they all do the same thing then PCM could be the problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PCM and ECU are one and the same. Both are terms for your car's computer, which has an adaptive learning algorithm programmed into it that saves your driving habit parameters, max speed and max rpm attained, and if the engine hit the rev limiter in the KAM(keep alive memory).
Installing a new tune, reinstalling the same tune, or disconnecting the battery wipes the KAM's memory clean. Some claim that disconnecting the battery does the most thorough cleaning job of the KAM.
Doing the 5 sec. in and 5 sec. out gas pedal procedure recalibrates the gas pedal's and the throttle plate's relative positions so that the throttle plate is fully closed when the gas pedal is released, and fully open when the gas pedal is floored. It's recommended that this be performed every time a new tune is installed, the same tune is reinstalled, or the battery is disconnected.

Out of curiosity, do you normally drive aggressively or conservatively?
Well kinda both aggressively and conservatively. I took my throttle body off for some cleaning and noticed that the plates were not fully closed. As you stated above if the plates fully closed when pedal is released wouldnt that stall the engine?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never had to recalibrate my gas pedal or anything else when loading new tunes. Never even heard of that. Sounds like you could have an issue with the PCM. If you have several different tunes then try loading each one of those. If they all do the same thing then PCM could be the problem.
As stated above all my tunes seem to need recal after a few days of driving

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well kinda both aggressively and conservatively. I took my throttle body off for some cleaning and noticed that the plates were not fully closed. As you stated above if the plates fully closed when pedal is released wouldnt that stall the engine?
You're correct. The plates are almost fully closed with the pedal released.
How does your car perform after doing a few consecutive hard runs?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're correct. The plates are almost fully closed with the pedal released.
How does your car perform after doing a few consecutive hard runs?
Car is OK if from a stop if I keep the pedal down. Not good when cruising and want to accelerate. Under lite throttle RPMs drop which causes mass bogging thats why I cleaned the throttle body but didnt help at all. Just sent Tillman's a data log to see whats going on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.