Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Before i went ahead and posted this thread i searched the forum and was unsuccessful in finding the answer to my question. I have a set of stock ford connecting rods from a 302. the part number reads as followes: C80E-A. I understand these are the standard size being 5.090 inches long and using 5/16th bolts. My question is are these rods forged? i am aware that ford used forged internal parts suck as the pistons but couldnt identiy any forging numbers. Any help would be appriciated, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
665 Posts
In the stock 5.0 i believe only the pistons were forged.

·
Registered
504 Posts
DO you know what year they came out of? If I'm not mistaken they did put forged rods in some of the later model 5.0s, but I'm not sure when the change over was. The problem is the caasting number on the rods has been C8-OE since 1968. This website does a pretty good job of explaining casting codes, but I don't know if they'll tell you what you're looking for (www.aacncclub.com).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! I am unaware of the year of the motor. I dont have the block handy, but i do know it had the E7 heads and when i pulled the motor apart it had the whole clutch assembely. Im guessing the 90's? I agree with mnjarhead that ford used forged rods in late model 5.0L's. Ill keep reaserching because if these are forged it will save a lot of money in my build. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok did a little more research. My heads are the E7 code, so i believe they refer to 1987. "E" being 1980's and "7" being the specific year. If all my components match up and were not swapped out, I should have a 5.0L 302 cid HO motor from 1987. Were connecting rods forged in that year?

·
Registered
487 Posts
e7 heads were used on 5.0hos from 87-95 i think... so that dont really help confirm the year beside its between those years.

87-92 5.0s came with forged rods, pistons an a cast crank

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
e7 heads were used on 5.0hos from 87-95 i think... so that dont really help confirm the year beside its between those years.

87-92 5.0s came with forged rods, pistons an a cast crank
Okay thank you! this motor had to be built b/w 87 and 92. the upper intake plennum did not have the elbow for the sn95 platform so hopefully i got lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts