Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm considering getting a short shifter.

I've looked around enough to know that if I do this, I'm going with Barton.

My question is, is it worth it? I have never had a problem with the factory shifters, though I have never had any experience with a short shifter either.

So, if I do pretty good as it is factory, is it worth it to change it out for a shorty?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't have the shifter, but I do have the shift knob and adapter and they feel great. It fits so much better in my hand since I have smallish hands (I'm a girl).

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Best shifter out there in my opinion. Well worth it.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Oh my, until you have a short throw you'll never know what you have been missing...should be the first mod on any Mustang...Pro 5.0s are top notch as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
IMO, I also been thinking about getting one but I dont think its worth it much unless you plan to race your car. I really wish a manufacture would make a shifter much like the Hurst comp plus, with a short throw and a taller shifter shaft. The shaft or rod or what ever you call it on the stock shifter is way to short. My buddy has a Hurst on his 2007 GT and it feels amazing, the Hurst billet and Steeda tri ax shifters for the 2011 are too short. I really love the old school look of a slightly taller shifter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMO, I also been thinking about getting one but I dont think its worth it much unless you plan to race your car. I really wish a manufacture would make a shifter much like the Hurst comp plus, with a short throw and a taller shifter shaft. The shaft or rod or what ever you call it on the stock shifter is way to short. My buddy has a Hurst on his 2007 GT and it feels amazing, the Hurst billet and Steeda tri ax shifters for the 2011 are too short. I really love the old school look of a slightly taller shifter.
You'll likely be able to do that with the upcoming MGW unit. On their other car designs, the actual shift lever is a separate part that clamps onto the shifter mechanism. Would seem easy to make a longer one..
Corvette design:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't have the shifter, but I do have the shift knob and adapter and they feel great. It fits so much better in my hand since I have smallish hands (I'm a girl).
We need a picture to prove this lol :rollgrin:

There is just something about a girl in a mustang gt that makes me all :kooky:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Barton Shifters ROCK!!!

Best shifter out there in my opinion. Well worth it.
+1...without a doubt the VERY best aftermarket short-throw shifter on the market for our 11 'Stangs! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
627 Posts
The barton is worth EVERY penny.

This shifter almost guides itself into gear, it is what the factory shifter should have been.

Try one and you wont want to drive the car with out it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely still going with barton as soon as the old wallet will allow.

Any thoughts on if this voids the tranny warranty?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Definitely still going with barton as soon as the old wallet will allow.

Any thoughts on if this voids the tranny warranty?
Only if the dealer can prove that the shifter caused the failure of the part being claimed under warranty.

the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from the dealer voiding a warranty JUST because an aftermarket part was installed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Only if the dealer can prove that the shifter caused the failure of the part being claimed under warranty.

the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from the dealer voiding a warranty JUST because an aftermarket part was installed.
A short shifter could (legitimately) be blamed on putting additional stresses on the Syncros, so yes it could affect warranty on the trans..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Barton and I love it. It's worth the money.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A short shifter could (legitimately) be blamed on putting additional stresses on the Syncros, so yes it could affect warranty on the trans..
This is definitely possible. Personally, if an issue was to occur similar to the one Modshack, simply replacing the shifter with your stock one would eliminate the possibility of them denying warranty (unless you shoot yourself in the foot).

But the likeliness of something like this happening is slim to none.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hard to believe y'all want a short shifter in a 5.0. I loved the one I drove, shifts were so nice and short, reminded me of a miata I use to own. My Z06 feels like I'm driving a dump truck, very long throws, I really need a short shifter in there.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hard to believe y'all want a short shifter in a 5.0. I loved the one I drove, shifts were so nice and short, reminded me of a miata I use to own. My Z06 feels like I'm driving a dump truck, very long throws, I really need a short shifter in there.
Drive a 5.0 with a Barton shifter and you will change your opinion.

I too said the same thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I said the same thing. I came from driving a 6spd pickup. The throws stock was like rowing a damn boat. Put a B&M short shifter in that and thought it was amazing.

First time I test drove the moose, i was like holy ****! Shortest throw I'd seen before. Low and behold, I still put in a barton short shifter after reading all the rage. And it was a damn good decision! I highly recommend this shifter.

Find someone locally who has one, and try it out, you'll be in shock and awe. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts