Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of restoring my 67 mustang. I have the 289 running with all basic parts but have been looking to upgrade. I have mostly been eyeing the edelbrock performer series as a big part of what i want to do is swap out my two barrel carb for a 4 brrl. As this is my first classic and restoration project I have been wanting to kind of design it to be the epitome of what i have always thought was really cool with muscle cars. This includes a butterfly intake scoop. As this is a very new subject for me I am wondering what adjustments should be made to allow the intake to be of use and perform well. I dont want it on there just for looks. Would i have to get a supercharger as well? etc.

Thank you,
Mark

·
Banned
828 Posts
ccan you post a photo or a link to the scoop you are referring to? unless you are trying to squeeze every bit of hp out of it as you can there is not a huge difference between a forward facing air scoop and one that picks up air from the base of the front windsheild like a camare cowl induction hood. a supercharger makes tons of hp but the bottom end must be build strong so it does not break when using one and this can be a little expensive. i like the noisy vortecs and the super quiet novi's.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think scoops are cool, yours will need to be hooked to the accelerator linkage, whether you make if functional or not. Most hoods have dead air for about 2" above the hood, so most hood scoops only allow outside air with little pressure if any. If you want to see what a shaker looks like, check out my photo gallery, I only have a couple of pics of the car, it is still a work in progress, 40 years and I still haven't finished it, but is has been driven a lot of miles. Good Luck.

·
Banned
828 Posts
It isn't a hood scoop. it is a shaker/carb intake. I am not sure if it is considered a ram air intake or what else i would call it. I attached a link to a pic of one below.
ok, you just need to get one that fits the top of your carb size and you will likely have to put a spacer under it so it is above the hood and connect the flappers as mentioned or just wire them open.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! thank you both!!

@rex- ya I saw those shakers. They are really sweet just not my style. That's a beautiful car. Gotta love the racing stripes. Pretty sick.

Ill post pics of mine on here as soon as I figure out how. I just chopped the drip rails this weekend bc they were completely rusted through. Trying to figure out best way to weld the gap back together is causing a pretty significant headache.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts