Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Looking at a private party sale of a 2014 convertible six cylinder. Vin number says it is a 6 speed manual yet the vehicle is an automatic with the sport shift. Seller claims the sport shift makes it a manual. A manual to me means it has a clutch. What gives? Someone actually swapped out a manual for an automatic? Everything else about the vin number seems to agree with the options.

Also, I drove it, seemed fine. Anything I should be aware of for this year? I have a current 2005 and have both the dreaded passenger side rain flooding and the gas tank filling problems.

Bobby D

·
Administrator
13,222 Posts
A manual is a manual & an auto is an auto. "I" would not trust the seller. A car with a salvage title is always going to be a car with a salvage title. Personally "I" would stay faaar away from that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again, I forgot to mention it is a salvage title. It was in the header but not in the discussion in case you missed it. Seems like it sat somewhere for three years. I guess as long as it wasn't somewhere that freezes it would be ok. A little rustier underneath than I would like for a 8 year old car.

Thanks kenv. We must have been posting at the same time. The price is awesome if I got it for $6k, 80000 on odo, would that change your mind? Convertible.

Bob

After market wheels and tires 20" low profile...probably $1500 or more in wheels and tires (not that I'm a big fan of that) aftermarket exhaust...sounds pretty cool. Drove flawlessly except those wheels had no balancing weights and had steering shimmy.

·
Registered
07 Mustang GT
972 Posts
Keeping in mind that it is a salvage title (means that the damage cost more than the car was worth, a total loss), if you're just looking for transportation and the car was fixed properly, it's probably a good car for you to run the wheels off of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks red. any concern for you that it might have sat for three years? I didn't see any dripping on the test drive. it drove strong shifted perfectly. I didn't try the air it is only 60 degrees. I'm thinking if he lets it go for 6k then there is lots of funds to fix things on a 20k car It was fixed ok. The alighnemt of the fender and the hood were off.. I am balancing price and value with what is acceptable

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,584 Posts
The Manual trans is standard in the Mustang and on some sites it shows up as a manual. The Select shift was a $1100 option in 2014.
My truck on some sites shows up as a XL with a 3.7 on some sites and it really isn't.

·
Registered
07 Mustang GT
972 Posts
thanks red. any concern for you that it might have sat for three years? I didn't see any dripping on the test drive. it drove strong shifted perfectly. I didn't try the air it is only 60 degrees. I'm thinking if he lets it go for 6k then there is lots of funds to fix things on a 20k car It was fixed ok. The alighnemt of the fender and the hood were off.. I am balancing price and value with what is acceptable
I would not worry about it sitting, I would worry what the damage was that caused it to be totaled and why the hood and fender alignment are still off. You also may need to consider the aftermarket wheels may not balance out and will need to be replaced. Again, for $6k it would be great transportation and a fun toy.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
The seller's claim that the sport shift makes it a manual is ridiculous and a total lie. If there is indeed a discrepancy between the VIN # and what the car has equipped then I would not buy it. You should go on the Ford website and put in the VIN to see what the car was outfitted with. If it originally came with a manual then someone would have to have gutted a donor car completely and transplanted the auto in that car to make it work. That includes the wiring and computer.
Either that or the car is stolen and rebadged or was salvaged and rebadged which is also illegal. It's not as uncommon as you think. The VIN will be located in multiple places on a car. The door jamb or driver door, driver side dash visible thru the windshield, and usually major body parts have it stamped into it along an edge as well. Compare them all to make sure that they match and don't appear to be tampered with.

You can also download and print the factory window sticker that came on the car: (63) OEM window stickers | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
He may not be a car guy and know that manual means clutch. I offered the $6k and he came down to $7k from $8k. I am not disappointed. I should have shaken down the VIN's more, but at the time I wasn't interested after the body panels were misaligned and a few other things. Then, I thought, well for $6k for a $20k car, I'll take a flyer. If I got $3k for mine, I'm in it for $3k (mine needs a full repaint failing clear coat and stripes shot). Now I see a 2006 Pony original owner low miles that I think I'll make the same price offer, depending on condition when I see it. I have to do some googling. DId they cure the passenger rain leaking in the 2006 model does anyone know? That year is probably still hampered by the gas tank filling problem. Probably need to do some searching this site. As an aside, if it is not already shared to your members, those cougar led bulbs with the little fans is an awesome difference at night and a snap to install...no mods needed. Under $100 and your light output I would say increased by 50%

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
Hi,
He may not be a car guy and know that manual means clutch. I offered the $6k and he came down to $7k from $8k. I am not disappointed. I should have shaken down the VIN's more, but at the time I wasn't interested after the body panels were misaligned and a few other things. Then, I thought, well for $6k for a $20k car, I'll take a flyer. If I got $3k for mine, I'm in it for $3k (mine needs a full repaint failing clear coat and stripes shot). Now I see a 2006 Pony original owner low miles that I think I'll make the same price offer, depending on condition when I see it. I have to do some googling. DId they cure the passenger rain leaking in the 2006 model does anyone know? That year is probably still hampered by the gas tank filling problem. Probably need to do some searching this site. As an aside, if it is not already shared to your members, those cougar led bulbs with the little fans is an awesome difference at night and a snap to install...no mods needed. Under $100 and your light output I would say increased by 50%
If the guy sells cars on the side or does it as his main job then he knows what a manual trans means. It's just common sense really unless he was a new driver and/or knows nothing about cars. Is this 2006 also a salvage? $6000 for a low miles anything right now seems too good to be true. 100k mile v6 2005-09 Mustangs are going for about $7000 and higher depending on condition.
All 2005-14 Mustangs can get clogged cowls that overflow into the passenger compartment if you don't clean them out sometimes. If you park your car in a garage and never park where leaves, seeds, or other debris can work it's way into the cowl then it's much less of a concern. The cowl issue actually affects other models too but in the Mustang it can fill up and drain inside onto the SJB which will cause electrical problems.
Carfax the vehicle repair history and it might show if the gas tank was replaced(I think this was the fix but that may have only been 2005) under the TSB during warranty but it might not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi. Other possibility is. 2006 one owner 60k miles. They are asking 8900. I was going with a Hail Mary 6k. Based on your post, looks like that offer will be too low. Have to go see it. I could ask them for the vin. It is over an hour away. Prices are crazy for a 16 year old car. Age does matter based on all the stuff I had to do to my fathers low mileage 30 year old car. Cooling systems do not like age, seals and bushings either. And it was garage kept to boot and didn’t see snow or rain.

·
Administrator
13,222 Posts
Unless you are planning to own it forever, look for something else. No matter how much money you sink into that car, you will never get a decent price for it when it comes time to sell/trade because it has a Salvage Title. It`s your money, good luck. You stated that the car has "a little more rust" than you might like. Salvage titles come from things like fire. crash damage, or flood damage which will show up in the electrics at some point. It`s also a bit of a pain to get the car on the road legally. This is just from my state of Pa:
If you read this it states that you cannot drive a car with a salvage title. It has to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yo Kenv,

When you mentioned PA, I clicked on your profile...you are in Levittown! I spent 30 years living in Langhorne (my adult life). In San Diego now for last nine years and don't want to go back to the snow. According to the VIN the title is rebuilt now. Thanks for the suggestions. I did offer $6k and they did not accept...no tears shed for it. I would have just drove it until it dropped. i think it was collision with the repairs not lining up properly and some under the hood parts still not anchored properly. Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like this post could be done now. I am still in the market but guess not this one unless he calls back in a few days and takes the $6k. You never know.

·
Headquarters
385 Posts
I think you're better off looking at another car if you want something for keeps. Might not be worth your time and money even if it seems inexpensive right now

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless you are planning to own it forever, look for something else. No matter how much money you sink into that car, you will never get a decent price for it when it comes time to sell/trade because it has a Salvage Title. It`s your money, good luck. You stated that the car has "a little more rust" than you might like. Salvage titles come from things like fire. crash damage, or flood damage which will show up in the electrics at some point. It`s also a bit of a pain to get the car on the road legally. This is just from my state of Pa:
If you read this it states that you cannot drive a car with a salvage title. It has to be rebuilt.

Couldn't you find out some good info from Carfax? Info on the accident?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it sat for three years after the accident means it was a four year old car when totaled. Damage would have been extensive. No way I would buy a car like that. Most places if they would even finance it will charge a huge interest rate. Insurance may cost more.

·
Administrator
13,222 Posts
OK, We are done here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.