Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son an I recently started to participate in autocross. We are having fun and that was the main purpose. But I am considering some upgrades to the suspension. Here's what I have so far; BMR lowering springs, adj. panhard bar, Prirelli 235/50 x 18 all season tires. Here's what I am considering; Tokico adj shocks, or Ford racing shocks, BMR sway bars or Eibach sway bars. Anybody out there got any better ideas or am on the right track?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here are some things I did that made a huge improvment on my 95 Cobra for autocross. Installed Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip Box package which includes about everything possible when upgrading a suspension, you can check out whats included on thier website. I would say the K-member, Torque Arm, and coil overs make the most impact within this package. It is expensive though. If you wanted to spend as little as possible but get the most out of it, just get stronger adjustable shocks and put 2 Hooiser A6 tires (275's) on a spare set of rims that you can put on at the course. You only need them on the front, they'll bite hard for you and help immensly. That will give you most bang for the buck untill you want to invest more. If you put on a full suspension package, then go with A6's on all four corners.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some things I did that made a huge improvment on my 95 Cobra for autocross. Installed Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip Box package which includes about everything possible when upgrading a suspension, you can check out whats included on thier website. I would say the K-member, Torque Arm, and coil overs make the most impact within this package. It is expensive though. If you wanted to spend as little as possible but get the most out of it, just get stronger adjustable shocks and put 2 Hooiser A6 tires (275's) on a spare set of rims that you can put on at the course. You only need them on the front, they'll bite hard for you and help immensly. That will give you most bang for the buck untill you want to invest more. If you put on a full suspension package, then go with A6's on all four corners.
Thanks for the info. I will consider this as an upgrade. I failed to mention that this will be my daily driver and I don't plan on spending a lot of money. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Experienced autocrossers often recommend driving for at least a season with minimal performance upgrades to the car, concentrating on driver-modification. Seat-time offers the greatest improvement-per-dollar.

Reasoning is: until the driver is at least pretty good at making the car do what it can, he will be unable to recognize where improvement is needed in order to take advantage of serious upgrades to the suspension, wheels, tires, power.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Experienced autocrossers often recommend driving for at least a season with minimal performance upgrades to the car...
Not just autox but for HPDEs too... we see a lot of people who specifically install mods to come to the track. It doesn't take long to find cars that are way out of the driver's ability.

The group I run with has even banned R tires for the noobs unless it came stock with the car.

Also for autox (and one reason I kinda quit) is to keep the car in a stock class to at least get a gauge on where you are vs the rest. It also limits the $$$ you spend.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Experienced autocrossers often recommend driving for at least a season with minimal performance upgrades to the car, concentrating on driver-modification. Seat-time offers the greatest improvement-per-dollar.

Reasoning is: until the driver is at least pretty good at making the car do what it can, he will be unable to recognize where improvement is needed in order to take advantage of serious upgrades to the suspension, wheels, tires, power.
Thanks, that's some of the best advice I've heard. I'll just save my money for a year and go from there.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If you are looking for suspension upgrades, the Ford Racing handling pack is an excellent upgrade. It is the same suspension setup the Shelby GT uses and the Shelby GT is extremely competitive in its class. Of course most of the winning is driver experience and the advice above is good stuff to think about.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When you do want to upgrade your stuff try checking with Sam Strano and he can guide you to get what you want out of your car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are looking for suspension upgrades, the Ford Racing handling pack is an excellent upgrade. It is the same suspension setup the Shelby GT uses and the Shelby GT is extremely competitive in its class. Of course most of the winning is driver experience and the advice above is good stuff to think about.
I am considering the Ford Racing Handling pkg. or at least parts of it like the shocks. I was a little concerned about a harsh ride. I have BMR springs and the ride is near stock. The springs seem to do their job when cornering or during aggressive driving. I recently read an article on BMR's suspension pkg. with Tokico adjustable shocks. I like what I read. However, I was looking for as much info as possible to make a well informed decision. Thanks for the info, I will consider your advice.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
My son an I recently started to participate in autocross. We are having fun and that was the main purpose. But I am considering some upgrades to the suspension. Here's what I have so far; BMR lowering springs, adj. panhard bar, Prirelli 235/50 x 18 all season tires. Here's what I am considering; Tokico adj shocks, or Ford racing shocks, BMR sway bars or Eibach sway bars. Anybody out there got any better ideas or am on the right track?
First I would upgrade the tires. Then I'd start looking at some quality tires. Also make sure you don't neglect the tires. They're important too! :D

(I hope I wasn't too vague)

LOL!!! But seriously, I'm assuming you're autocrossing an S197 since you posted in this section. These cars are have a great foundation from the factory, yet they respond well to minor mods. You're on the right track. D-specs & Swaybars will make a big difference (take a look at the Steeda bars too) but TIRES TIRES TIRES are the biggest difference!!!

S

·
0 Posts
I just seen an amazing deal at stage3 motorsports. Roush trakpak coilovers for $900. Then I read another guy got a set for 78O on eBay from roush. You can't beat that. Ride height adjustable, rebound adjustable, camber adjustable. Boom. I'm not taking away from anything the other posters said because I know they are right but these are normally 1500 everywhere u look. I tried to tell the old lady and she was like "I thought u wanted long tubes".....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First I would upgrade the tires. Then I'd start looking at some quality tires. Also make sure you don't neglect the tires. They're important too! :D

(I hope I wasn't too vague)

LOL!!! But seriously, I'm assuming you're autocrossing an S197 since you posted in this section. These cars are have a great foundation from the factory, yet they respond well to minor mods. You're on the right track. D-specs & Swaybars will make a big difference (take a look at the Steeda bars too) but TIRES TIRES TIRES are the biggest difference!!!
I just replaced the B.F. Goodrich with the Pirellis. I considered Nittos and Summitomos, but I felt that these ultra high performance summer tires would wear out to quickly as this is my daily driver. So I got the Pirellis. They are not the best for autocross but I felt that I needed something for everyday driving since that is what I will be doing the most. I will only autocross about 3 or 4 times a year. And money is an issue, so, I will not be buying an extra set of tires and rims unless they fall in my lap some how. I do believe that tires will make the biggest difference, so who knows what the future may bring. I might find an irresistible deal on a set of rims and tires.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I just replaced the B.F. Goodrich with the Pirellis. I considered Nittos and Summitomos, but I felt that these ultra high performance summer tires would wear out to quickly as this is my daily driver. So I got the Pirellis. They are not the best for autocross but I felt that I needed something for everyday driving since that is what I will be doing the most. I will only autocross about 3 or 4 times a year. And money is an issue, so, I will not be buying an extra set of tires and rims unless they fall in my lap some how. I do believe that tires will make the biggest difference, so who knows what the future may bring. I might find an irresistible deal on a set of rims and tires.

Fair enough.

But I will tell you this, I'd get a second set of rims, even if they're just stockers, and put some Hoosier A6s on them for autocross days before shocks, struts, springs, control arms, etc... and I sell suspension, so you know I'm really pushing tires when I'm not suggesting for you to buy suspension first! :gringreen

Also, I think you can run F-stock with just the tires, but if you start adding suspension mods, Pirellis or not, you'll have to run a higher/faster class.

Nevertheless, all of that is irrelevant if you're just looking to have some fun with your son and you don't care if you're competitive.

Well, I guess I'd better put in a plug... control arms and a panhard bar will tighten up the suspension quite a bit in fast transitions. We sell those suspension pieces AND Eibach springs at UPR Products | Mustang Parts & Performance | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Billet | Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Exhaust :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough.

But I will tell you this, I'd get a second set of rims, even if they're just stockers, and put some Hoosier A6s on them for autocross days before shocks, struts, springs, control arms, etc... and I sell suspension, so you know I'm really pushing tires when I'm not suggesting for you to buy suspension first! :gringreen

Also, I think you can run F-stock with just the tires, but if you start adding suspension mods, Pirellis or not, you'll have to run a higher/faster class.

Nevertheless, all of that is irrelevant if you're just looking to have some fun with your son and you don't care if you're competitive.

Well, I guess I'd better put in a plug... control arms and a panhard bar will tighten up the suspension quite a bit in fast transitions. We sell those suspension pieces AND Eibach springs at UPR Products | Mustang Parts & Performance | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Billet | Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Exhaust :bigthumbsup
Thanks Sharad, I will definitely keep that in mind. A set of tires and rims, Hoosier A6...mmmm, sounds interesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts