Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well ive had this idea in my head for awhile now and since im off for 3 days i thought id attempt to take some time to bring my top back to life. it was replaced before i bought the car, its just got that dull grayish look going on especially now with all the windows tinted. its that canvas material, not vinyl so i wasnt sure about vinyl dye products.

im just really concerned about what to use for dyeing. ive searched all around and get opposite inputs everywhere i look!

I bought a handheld steam cleaner a couple months ago to help maintain the new leather front seats recently bought. I thought to use it on my top too. i will admit, i did a spot on it and the results were noticeably blacker than the rest of the top. only thing is the steam cleaner i bought has a weird angled tip when you take off the attachment made for the seats, so its almost like drawing on your top. it would take ages to fully steam clean the top. so ive been thinking about dying my top, but i have no idea what to use. i hear all sorts of different things about what to use and what not to use. so i searched and searched but i keep finding different opinions. :so ive got my arms up in the air, not really sure what to do or use.

Any ideas or anyone whos dyed their top with good results? just had my car painted recently as well so id **** bricks if any dyes or sprays bled off the top in the rain or during a wash.

and off topic question relating to the convertible mechanisms. i took apart the motor and filled it up with mercon to get the top switch moving again. never worked when i bought the car, i just put it down by hand. turns out it leaks! so i traced the leak and its coming out this piece of hardware thats suppose to be moving the top up. it basically looks like a strut, not sure what its called. could even be called that for all i know. anyone know so i can search it and buy the replacement in a pair. one for each side. its only leaking on the driver side.

thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Dunno what to tell you about dye for the top.... But as far as the lift cylinder for the motor, latemodelrestoration.com sells them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dyed my top black when it was that OEM charcoal black. Use the spread on dye not the spray if you are worried about over spray. It does work but them its just a dye. Remember if you are daily driving this and keep it out side - you will probably need to dye it again about every year or other year. The dye will not harm the material, its easy to put on, and pretty cheap at around 12 dollars a bottle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts