Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 Mustang GT convertible that I just took delivery of. I noticed after having the top down and then putting it back up that there are some strange creases near the passenger side rear window. Has anyone else had these creases appear? They almost look like they will one day wear into the top.

I appreciate anyone's experience or input on this problem. :evilchuck

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let the sun do the work

I too had concerns about the wrinkles. When my top is up, which is only my family is in the stang and we are on the freeway, after about two hours the wrinkles are gone. The car has to be in the sun. When I put my stang in the corral at night, the wrinkles are still there in morning. Again, my top is down 95% of the time. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is one of the deep wrinkles sort of down below the trim ring on the passenger side near the rear window? It seems the passenger side has more creases than the driver's side. I have not tried having it in the sun since I noticed them.

Thank you for your input. :drink:

Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
My creases disappear in the sun as well. Had me concerned at first too. But all seems well. I have the top up/down at least 3x/day! So far, so good. I never leave it stored overnight with the top down though. Always put it up when I put it to bed.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have noticed little creases as well after the (very) few times I have been able to put the top down. (100+ degrees everyday is not condusive to top down driving) But, they go away (for me) by just putting the top up in the garage. It's over 90+ in the garage, so the wrinkles iron themselves out.
I would suggest you get the RaggTopp cleaner and conditioner kit for vinyl tops. I love it. Cleans the dirt out of the crevises really easy, and the conditioner gives the top a nice satin glow. :shiny:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vert Top Creases ...

I have them too, but, I am more concerned about a place where it seems to pinch. Does anyone have this? For me, it's pinching just to the back of the rear side window ... near the bottom. My worry is that this will eventually lead to a hole. I did get the Ford extended waranry which includes the top, but, at 7k miles, am considering taking it in. Thoughts?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine gets wrinkles, but they always straighten out in the sun. I worry more about the headliner getting caught on the back seat area. It always kind of catches and folds up there, and at the very last moment it slides on down. Seems to rely a lot on luck.:rolleyes: I wonder how many up/down cycles these things are rated for, it just looks like trouble to come. I wish I'd gotten the extended warranty, just for the top. I haven't noticed any creases, but I'll look tonight. I could see how it could crease, it always folds in exactly the same places.

G

·
I have not been up close to a '05 vert yet but, I did own a 1967 Dodge triple BLACK Dart GT vert show car a few yrs back (similar to below red link).

http://autabuy.com/photos/15363_51980100.jpg

I never dropped the top without stopping it in about 3 steps, and going back to hand "fold" the creases to keep it stress/ pinch free.

Not sure if you can stop the drop mid-job but, if you can, take the time to do it.
It will make a huge difference.
Always store it for the night with top up, and yes the sun is a great way to remove wrinkles.

Most top "cleaners" end up doing more harm than good, I just cleaned with soap and water and left it alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts