Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My convertible top motor is weak.
I read some random thread on-line that you should refill some oil w/in the unit. Is this correct? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes there're are hydraulic cylinders behind the back seat that I think get filled with ATF fluid (not totally sure but someone here should know. Try the search function because I know some pretty knowledgeable guys have helped with similar situations.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The top motor is behind the rear seat. It's accessable from the trunk by removing the trunk liner. Make sure the top pistons are closed before filling. (closed means you can't see the actual piston shaft). Remove cap on motor and check fluid level. It should be full in closed position. If not, fill with 5w hydraulic fluid until full.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
7up is correct. Be sure your top is all the way open. I can suggest to you that your job will be much easier to remove your back seat rather than gettin to motor from trunk. With top down, remove rubber plug from motor and fill with any kind of ATF until level is just below hole. Purge by putin top up and down a few times. With top down, fill motor one more time. Plug, you should be gtg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts