Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my thermostat, so I removed the drain plug from the radiator and the coolant came out a puke brownish yellow, so I figure its probably better to drain the whole system then top it off :smartass:. I know I'm gonna be kickin myself in the head after this one, they're probably right in front of me, but where are the coolant drain plugs on the engine block? Theres one on each side, correct? If anyone could provide a photo showing where they are, that'd be great, thanks

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Off the top of my head I don't remember seeing any on the block.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, really? Because in my haynes manual and Ford shop manual they both state to remove the drain plugs from the engine block. If they put it in the Ford shop manual it has to be true.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks, I will check for them tomorrow and let you know if I find them. I noticed you have an sn95, I actually have a 1988 5.0. I imagine the coolant drain plug locations on the motors from both those years are the same. However if anyone reading this knows otherwise please let me know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As far as I know there is no coolant drain plugs on the 5.0 engine block. There is Freeze plugs on both sides of the block. You can see 3 of them in the picture. I don't even think you can take them out with the engine being in your car. You do not want to take the feeze plugs out.

You should of got 90 percent of the coolant out since you drained your radiator from the plug on the bottom of the radiator. Just replace the thermostat, fill the radiator back up. Sure there will still probably be a little coolant in the motor and heater core but not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There is no block drain on a 5.0, just casting plugs as mentioned earlier. Dont pull them out, youll regret it. If you want that old coolant out so bad, disconnect the lower rad hose and the thermostat housing. Then flush it with a garden hose until its clear. Refill with distilled water and antifreeze.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Refill with distilled water and antifreeze.
Good advice, just mix at 50/50.

If you buy the premixed antifreeze, use it straight out of the bottle and do not dilute with additional water.
It is cheaper to buy the full strength antifreeze and mix it yourself. That's what I do :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep i checked today, no drain plugs. i read that in my haynes manual as well, you just watch for the water to come out of the drain **** right? i think I'm going to go with that option. Thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '94 GT has two drain plugs, one on each side just above the oil pan rail. The passenger side plug is towards the front of the motor and is accessible, the driver side plug is towards the rear but inaccessible due to the header.

If you can get to them and get them open, you will get a much more complete flush than by just draining the radiator.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
also turn the heater on HIGH HEAT while flushing.

Um, the brown color worries me. I think there might be oil in the coolant, or it is extremely rusty up in that block. Check the oil to see if it is the color of coffee w/ cream. That would be coolant contamination in the oil.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Last time I changed my coolant I did it over a week or maybe 10 days, drained it and filled it with distilled water, drive a few days and drain again, repeated a few times until water stayed clear and then did my final fill with 50/50 Mix.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
Shakerhood's method sounds like a great way to ensure the cleanest system.
If youre gonna do it the quick way though,I always removed the thermostat to get unobstructed flow

Reactions: shakerhood

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Replacing my thermostat, so I removed the drain plug from the radiator and the coolant came out a puke brownish yellow, so I figure its probably better to drain the whole system then top it off :smartass:. I know I'm gonna be kickin myself in the head after this one, they're probably right in front of me, but where are the coolant drain plugs on the engine block? Theres one on each side, correct? If anyone could provide a photo showing where they are, that'd be great, thanks
Pull the lower hose off the waterpump to drain most of the block, or find a shop that can actually do a whole system flush with a machine.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,218 Posts
The pictures arent the best,but I took a few of a block I bought at Summit Racing years ago.I believe Summit purchased these blocks from Ford right as they had stopped manufacturing them?? The smaller holes must be casting holes because I inserted a screwdriver into each one of them and it came to a stop at a 1" depth.
There are two larger holes that have plugs in them,but I didnt remove them to see if they led to a coolant passage,so they might/might not be drain plugs.

1st pic= driver side rear
2nd pic= passenger side front

One thing I like to do,if the coolant looks like its got a bunch of rusty sediment in it,is remove the heater hoses from the metal coolant pipe and find a U shaped hose you can use to tie the two metal coolant pipes back together,the same way you would do if you were bypassing the heater core.
Flush the engine cooling system with the heater core bypassed.
Now you can remove the heater hoses and use a garden hose with nozzle,using medium pressure,to flush the heater core.Flush it from the larger to smaller pipe first then switch to the smaller to larger pipe last.Manually flushing the core will prevent all of the sediment,from the engine & radiator, from being passed through the heater core.If the coolant doesnt look like it has a bunch of solid matter in it,flushing the core along with the engine & radiator will be good enough.I just dont like to flush them together when the coolant has solid material in it,since its easier to clog the heater core than the radiator.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts