Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Mustang GT with 152,000 miles and a manual tranny. I am getting a surge and buck when accelerating so I checked my COPs and there was coolant on the ones on the drivers side. The passenger side COPs are perfectly dry. I looked in the holes of the driver side and found puddles of coolant around the plugs. I replaced my intake manifold about 5 months ago hoping to fix this problem. Ive had this problem before. I did everything right with the gaskets and all! Still coolant is getting in there, unfortunately. My guess is a bad head gasket. If you guys could give me any thoughts or any info. on a head gasket replacement that would be great!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't really think a bad head gasket would result in you getting coolant in your spark plug wells. Which cylinders are getting the coolant? Can you trace the coolant to a specific location? I once had a leaking thermostat housing gasket. It leaked from the housing and dripped down onto the driver side head and mostly pooled into my number 5, 6 spark plug well.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Re torque the manifold using the proper specs and sequence while he engine is warm. See if that stops it before you go replacing head gaskets.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Ill try that! But will I have to remove everything when re-torqueing the bolts? Or is the throttle body, egr, etc. not in the way of the bolts?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. And in response to Maxium's first reply:
The coolant is getting in to every spark plug located on the driver's side of the engine. And no I haven't been able to trace the leak anywhere that's visible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had the same problem, my heater core hose thingy (the one that goes into the intake manifold) was leaking into the spark plug well and causing misfires. (passenger side cylinder,, closest to the firewall (#4?) )

tighten whatever is leaking, take the coil out (DON'T remove the spark plug) and insert a rag and really shove it down there with a long screw driver or something to absorb as much coolant as possible. blow the well with compressed air if needed. reinstall cop and check your leakage source frequently.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I decided to work on this today. And come to find out, the drivers side part of the intake was a lot looser than it should be. I tightened it down, cleaned out the coolant as much as possible, replaced spark plugs on the drivers' side, and BOOM!!! Problem gone...for now. I will be checking about once a month to see if the leak comes back.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well I decided to work on this today. And come to find out, the drivers side part of the intake was a lot looser than it should be. I tightened it down, cleaned out the coolant as much as possible, replaced spark plugs on the drivers' side, and BOOM!!! Problem gone...for now. I will be checking about once a month to see if the leak comes back.
When replacing an intake or gaskets, I've always made it a habit of re torquing the bolts after a heat cycle. Especially with the plastic manifolds. I've never had a problem with leaks. Hope you found the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts