Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got coolant leaking from the freeze plug on the drivers side cylinder head. I will have to have a mechanic repair this. Will this be a complicated job? Any ideas on a fair price to do the job? Can any one recommend a repair shop in the Los Angeles area?
Thanx, Chas

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It's called a CORE plug.

Is coolant leaking from the plug in the front of the cylinder head or the rear?

I worked in a machine shop for a few years. It is VERY easy to do. If the front core plug is leaking, it can be changed without removing the head from the block, and with simple hand tools, the proper size replacement plug, and the proper sealant. Something you might want to consider if you want to save a few clams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your reply. The leak is at the rear core plug. It looks like there is a small hole in the center of the plug. The car is a 90 LX and the motor has over 150,000 miles on it and runs great. Is it common to see that many miles on a stock 5.0? Is there a "ballpark" mileage where I should start thinking about a rebuilt or crate motor replacement. I don't want to tear the heads off now if i'm gona have to pull the motor in a year or two. In that case, I would mabey just replace the motor now. I want to keep a stock 5.0 in the car. I've had the car sense 97 and besides regular maintenance have only had to replace an alternator, battery, radiator hoses, and a water pump.

Thanks again, Chas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts