Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My mustang seems to have coolant leak problem. I have got the water pump replaced from a Mechanic who diagnosed a leak in it. But, I still see the coolant level going down very quickly - within 500 miles, the level went down to one-fourth the tank. The same mechanic says he does not see the water pump leaking and cannot figure out why the coolant depletes so fast. Have any of you faced the same problem? I had replaced the thermostat about an year ago. I've had a couple of nasty overheating problems while on the road as well. Can someone please tell me what could be going wrong? Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I upgraded my cooling on my car it took awhile to get all the air out of the system, I'd guess this is possible. If your coolant is dropping that much you should see at least some traces of it in a park space. If you saw that you'd just have to try and trace the general area where it could be. You could try replacing your radiator cap and make sure you don't have any signs of a possible head gasket leak too. You could also have a very minor leak in your radiator that leaks more when at operating temps.

·
Registered
941 Posts
make sure you have all the hose clamps tight and you are not leaking around the water pump adnd or a the tb spacer is the exhaust really wet?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I believe there was a recall about the intake manifold on 4.6 2v models cracking, causing coolant leaks. You might wanna get yours checked out at the stealership.

G

·
4.6's are not known for leaking head gaskets, chances are it's the infamous cracked intake at the coolant crossover.....go to a parts store and buy a bottle of coolant system dye, add to the system and drive the car for a day....the high vis-green dye will show you where the leak is comming from, now you might have to use a "black lite" to highlite the dye...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
yea if theres no visable leaks there should be white smoke coming from the exhaust it could be headgasket or uper intake manifold gasket thats pouring coolant onto your valves

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Advice

Lots of good advice on here. I'd follow Randy's path first with the dye, then see where to go next.

Problems with air trapped by the thermostat are also well-known. Many people drill a small hole in the thermostat to help bleed air.

·
Registered
175 Posts
make sure your replacement thermostat has a hole. I just went back to a stock ford 195 with the hole because of air lock issues. ps... bleed the system by opening the cap and turning the heat on full blast. You will eventually see the air escape. Check my post about coolant issues in the next hour or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this exact same problem on my '97 GT and it turned out to be my intake manifold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.