Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 5.0 gurus,

Yesterday while driving I got a couple whiffs of burning coolant from my '92 5.0. Sitting at a stoplight I saw some white smoke coming from the LF wheel well. I pulled over (with the engine running) to inspect for a leak, and while there was coolant all over the front of the engine and the cooling fan there was no visible leak making it to the ground. In fact, it wasn't even smoking anymore (I believe it was hitting the drivers side exhaust manifold).

My aftermarket radiator has the cap on the drivers side, could it be coming out of the pressure relief? Also I know that I've had a slight seep from the water pump gasket/timing cover area, but it was not actively leaking when I checked.

Any help would be appreciated! I want to make sure she's ready to drive with the summer weather approaching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don't see any visable leaks, you need to check the cooling system with a pressure tester. The leak may not show up until there is pressure on the system and you don't have to worry about a running engine using the tester. If you check it this way and still don't see a leak then you might determine it came from the overflow on the radiator. If the radiator is filled too high, coolant can be pushed out the overflow. If you don't have the overflow connected to an overflow tank, or if there is no hose connected to let hit the ground, it could blow back onto the engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Pressure tester is a good way to test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts