Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 car- 289 with Paxton had two issues.
One is the coolant always is low- the car seems to pump it out via the over flow- about 1/2 gallon. Each time I fill it it does it again
I have replaced the cap. Any thoughts on what else it might be?

Second the car starts great when cold, but if I drive it the restart is very hard. It cranks and cranks and then fires. Gives me pause. I think I will run it down sometime and if I stall it in the road it is a real pain.
Timming? Or I have heard the Paxtons need a electric fuel pump
Any one with similar issues?
Thanks a million

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) Assuming that you didn't neglect to mention that your car is also seriously over-heating :D , then the radiator cap is not doing it's job. The only way that the coolant can get out through the overflow is if the bottom of the radiator cap is being pushed upward. If your replacement cap is one of those ridiculousl reproductions, then that's your problem. You need to replace the cap again with something that will actually work.

The hard starting when hot thing sounds like the fuel line is getting hotter than it should and the car is trying to vapor lock on you. Also, with the carb sitting inside that blower box, heat doesn't escape from the carb as quickly as it does on a normally aspirated car when the car is not running. When the car is running you have great air flow keeping the carb cool enough, but, when you shut the car off, heat accumulates inside there. When the timing is too far advanced the car will crank very slowly, as if the battery was low, not crank like crazy and just not fire. You don't need an electric fuel pump with a Paxton supercharger. The Paxtons were available on these cars in 66, while the electric fuel pump was not. :nogrinner I've had a couple of cars with Paxtons and they had the stock mechanical fuel pumps and started just fine like that.
All of what you describe sounds like a car that's running a little bit warmer than it should be, and the fuel line could be routed a little bit more effectively. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips. I had thought it was the cap. It is a repo and I got another repo same thing.
As for starting I will time the car again and check it
As long as temps are in the 60s 70s I am fine it is the hot days that cause it to be reluctant to start.
Thanks again. I love this car I have had it for 25 years and finally got the Paxton on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts