Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Mustang GT with 85,500 miles and the coolant in the reservoir looks like it has dirt settled at the bottom! I wanted to know if I should use some kind of cleaner to remove these deposits and scale from my engine. What should I use? Can someone post the directions to properly do the flushing of the coolant?

Thanks in advance! :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would suggest you dip a finger or cloth down into that reservoir and get a sample of that contaminant. If it is just sooty brown stuff, that is a mild case of rust. You haven't been keeping up with your coolant changes. :nono: If there is solid matter in there, that is hard core rust. You may need to have your radiator rodded. Have a radiator shop check it out and tell you how bad it is. The contaminants in the block can be handled two ways 1) get an over the counter flush at your favorite store. Follow the instructions, then refill with clean 50/50 coolant. These are generally mild and wont clean out too much, so they are only usable for mild cases. Make certain it says it is safe for aluminum blocks and radiators. 2) if you have a severe case of rust, take it to a radiator shop, auto shop or dealer and have them do a thorough rust flushing that they can warranty. 3)The redneck way would be to change your coolant once every 6 months and do a flush each time. This will clean everything out over the course of 3 years maybe. The best medicine is to never let it get this bad.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished the coolant change!

I would suggest you dip a finger or cloth down into that reservoir and get a sample of that contaminant. If it is just sooty brown stuff, that is a mild case of rust. You haven't been keeping up with your coolant changes. :nono:
Well, thanks for your help! I was able to flush everything out with a special flushing chemical. I used distilled water to mix with the flushing chemical, and now I just need to fill it up a little more with 50/50 antifreeze then drain it a little and so on! And for your information it wasn't me that missed these due dates, it was the owner before me!:didnotdoit: I am working on changing all of the fluids.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a recent check at the coolant and only a little bit of rust is still there. I keep removing the rust and adding fresh coolant - so far so good!:gringreen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.