Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the wonderful Texas heat has came i have noticed a loss in power from the 5.0. Are there any add on cooling mods that have really helped these cars when the weather gets hot? I have read a little on here about an engine oil cooler? Any other things you guys can think of? And no im not going to move or have a meth system installed :nono:

·
Registered
113 Posts
@fmhscopeland Great question as I have noticed the same here in Plano TX. BTW did you tint your side markers or buy them? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Now that the wonderful Texas heat has came i have noticed a loss in power from the 5.0. Are there any add on cooling mods that have really helped these cars when the weather gets hot? I have read a little on here about an engine oil cooler? Any other things you guys can think of? And no im not going to move or have a meth system installed :nono:
new radiator fans?? maybe idk..

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Boss also has a larger radiator that perhaps should be installed at the same time. Adding to the stock 5.0 radiator's heat load with an oil cooler may not solve your hot engine problem.

Also, Fluidyne makes an all aluminum 3-row radiator that is a direct fit for the 2011+ Mustang and costs about the same as the Boss OEM unit. Once you start swapping in parts, when do you stop? Why when you're broke, of course!

...ned.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Do they make a lower temp thermostat? Have seen those used in other cars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Or you could just add a bottle of Red Line Water Wetter, it works.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Once you start swapping in parts, when do you stop? Why when you're broke, of course!

...ned.
DAMN!!! if only this worked for me my wifey would be a happy camper... and she could stop hiding the bank acct info.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-Yagermeister- Yes they are tinted and i bought them from AM i beleive. I have had cars in the past with everything tinted, headlight, fogs, taillights and i got into too much trouble with the fuzz so i figured just do a little..Just enought to make it a little better. I like it.

-Others- Yeah i have looked into the Boss parts, just wonder if it will work like i think in my head i want it to work. I also am inquiring about a lower degree thermostat, not sure what ours is currently but 160 degree one sounds about right for other cars that i have owned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In hot country, like Texas and Arizona (where I live) the cheapest and best thing to do is to use 25% antifreeze instead of 50%, and drop in a bottle (as noted above :bigthumbsup) of RedLine Water Wetter.

See the white paper at http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf for details on why you want 25% antifreeze and 75% water.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It hit 102*F here yesterday. We'll probably be around there until October :(

Heat index is typically 110*F or higher.

I'm not planning on doing anything besides possibly the water wetter and coolant mix change.

I may get the boss transmission air scoop also but the radiator swap seems rather involved.

·
0 Posts
It hit a blistering 79*F up here yesterday. Thankfully it cooled down a bit today :shigrin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The Boss 302 Engine Oil Cooler looks to be a great option! 2011-12 Mustang 5.0L Ford Racing Boss 302 Engine Oil Cooler at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I know some of the tunes can control how often and how long the fans stay on, that may help some. Larger core radiator can help too possibly but I am not sure if anyone has made one yet for the new 5.0.

That doesn't look like much of a cooler. More like a heat exchanger between the oil and coolant.

A real oil cooler is basically a radiator for your oil.

·
Registered
437 Posts
An engine oil cooler or radiator isn't going to do anything about losing power because of the heat. They will keep your engine from overheating when you're driving it hard in that heat, sure, but they won't affect the power output. You're not losing power because your oil or coolant is getting hot. You're losing power because hotter air is less dense, so the car has less oxygen to burn. The only way to combat the heat power-wise is to cool the intake charge, which you can do with meth, but you said you won't do that, so you just have to deal with the power loss.

On a naturally aspirated car I don't think it would cool the intake charge all that much anyway because it's not superheated way above ambient like a boosted car's intake charge is. But that's really your only option. Otherwise it's just a product of your location and something you have to live with, just like I have to live with losing 75hp right off the top because of the altitude where I live.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That doesn't look like much of a cooler. More like a heat exchanger between the oil and coolant.

A real oil cooler is basically a radiator for your oil.
Well, both types are just heat exchangers. An oil to water unit like that is much more efficient and stable, so it can be smaller. An equivalent oil to air unit has to be much larger, and is going to swing a lot more in temp. I prefer oil to coolant since the temps will remain just about right, with little chance of over or under cooling the oil. The coolant helps get the oil up to temp, and also helps keep it at that sweet spot by preventing it from getting too hot. Realistically, unless you guys are racing in this heat there is no reason to change everything. Cars are validated and tested in even worse conditions, so modifications aren't needed.

Low temp thermostats will do nothing to keep a car cooler if the coolant temps are exceeding the stock thermostat rating. No, low, or standard temp thermostats will do nothing if the cooling system is maxed out since they'll all be wide open anyways. They'll all overheat. You'd need a tune too, otherwise drivability and CEL issues will arise.

Personally, I don't like running low temp stats on DD's because too low of a coolant temp reduces engine efficiency, increases oil contamination, can increase engine wear, and reduces fuel economy. It's okay for a track car where you are more concerned about power loss from hot soak than anything else.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You certainly don't need any of this stuff for daily driving.

I'm thinking about the transmission cooler because it's cheap and easy. $100 and 4 bolts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like maybe changing the coolant might be a good thing just to make the engine run a little cooler..
-Erod550-That does make sense. The car is just pulling in hotter air, but my theory with cooling the engine down with water wetter, oil cooler, radiator, etc is that when that already hot air goes in it wont get as hot because the engine should be running cooler... Does that make sense, or would it not matter since as soon as it enters it will already be combusting? I can't really think how any of the previously mentioned mods would hurt anything, but would they help to the point to become noticible..or would it be like a catch can kind of thing...mostly for peace of mind.

-Thanks for all the replies guys..except the 79 degree Canadian-haha man i would take that temperature in a heart beat :worship

1 - 20 of 21 Posts