Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some major problems with my 1993 mustang. I recently just got the head gaskets replaced, alternator, radiator flushed and motor serviced. I was driving it yesterday and the motor started gradually overheating. When the work was done they put a new 160 themostat in the car. I have a eldebrock heads on the car and an e303 cam shaft. The engine took about 20 mins or so to overheat. I need help. The radiator was replaced about 3 years ago. Help me if you can. I think it might be the clutch fan but I haven't checked it yet Help! The head gaskets have been replaced 3 times since 2005.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the first thing I would do would be to jack the car up in the front and then refill it with coolant. You might have air in the block or coolant lines which is causeing it to overheat. Thats where I would start. It could be a bad thermoustate too. Its not uncomin. Those 2 things are the easiest and cheapest places to start. My 91 has been overheating too but before I could but a new thermoustate and all in the fuel pump went out so I am waiting on parts now. I am going to replace my headgaskets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What head gaskets are you using? The ones that Eldeldrock recommends? TrickFlow told me to use the FelPro 1011-2.

·
Registered
211 Posts
First, let me ask, why have you had the head gaskets replaced three times in such a short period of time? :headscratch:

If you have warped heads that have not been checked and milled, then this is most likely the cause of your overheating problems.

Did you install the 160 thermostat to help with the overheating problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the head repaired by the machine shop. They were warped the first time. This time they wasn't, the gaskets put on were the felpro gaskets for those heads. It must be something else.

·
Registered
211 Posts
First, replace the thermostat. Second, replace the water pump. Third replace the Fan Clutch. Your cooling issues should be a thing of the past. Make sure you have a coolant mixture of 50/50 and don't be afraid to purchase a bottle of Purple Ice, Water Wetter or 40 Below.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the same 160 t-stat for 10 years? maybe try a new one:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
292 Posts
the same 160 t-stat for 10 years? maybe try a new one:bigthumbsup
Agree. Get a 180 thermostat. That's too low for a EFI 5.0. I have that, along with new fan clutch, new replacement radiator, and it will never go above between A and M on a 89 to 92 degree day. During a normal hot day in the low 80's or below that, it will never pass A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new themostat was installed yesterday prior to it running. I will try the fan clutch do you think 180 is better?

·
Registered
94 Posts
when my fan clutch went bad it would start creeping in traffic and then would cool down once more air came across rad. def. put a 180 thermo and maybe think about electric fan.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Or SSP fan clutch.(police fan clutch) :scratchchin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let the air out of the line. This time it took about 30 min or so before the temp starting rising. The fan will only move about a quater of a turn when u push on it, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You mean spark timing, not cam timing. Two different animals. Set the Spark timing to 12-14 with spout out.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
my ecam works best at around 12.....changing water pump made all my cooling troubles go away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a FlowKooler water pump on my LX. It costs a bit more than your off the shelf local auto parts store water pump, but it is well worth the extra expense. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had the gaskets replaced. Does anyone think it might be installed wrong? Could the radiator cap be faulty? I believe that the water pump is only about 9 or 10 years old. The overheating is very gradual after driving the car about 10 to 15 miles does the temp start to rise. They times the valves at 10 over 20 I think not real sure. I am going to get another radiator cap tomorrow and try that. Does anyone else have any other suggestions. Please help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.