Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've had a problem with the cooling system on my 02 GT for a few weeks now and haven't had to time ot exstensively look at it. I was pulling out of a toll and floored it and at the top of second gear coolant exploded onto my windshield. I pulled over to check it out, expecting the worst. It turns out the hose coming off of the engine to the firewall came off if its fitting. No damage what so ever to the hose of fitting, it just came off. So I grabbed my pliers and put it back on. After refilling and bleeding my coolant the next day I floored it pulling onto the highway (thistime at only 4500rpm) and the hose blew off again. This is extremely frustrating and I can feel a loss of power since the inncidents. I have a friend with a shop located two hours away who I called lastnight and he told me it could be a blown head gasket. I'm hoping that's not it, but it anyone has any ideas of what it could be I would be greatly appreciative!

G

·
Welcome to AFM! Let me move this to the 4.6 Tech section and get some eyes on it for you. Keep us posted and thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The 02+ MY Mustangs use a quick disconnect fitting on the heater hoses. Before looking at something like a blown head gasket, don't you think it would be a good idea to inspect the heater hose?

I really suspect that the plastic clip that latches onto the nipple has broken and that's why it no longer holds.

If the hose came off of the engine side, pay special attention to the intake nipple. Sometimes these will break off. If this has happened, the options get more complicated. Replacement of the intake manifold is likely.

The fix could be as simple as a new heater hose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks wmburns. From what I could tell the heater hose and clip are not damaged. I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement any way, but for the time being I've put on an additional hose clamp to help the hose hold pressure. I am not a fan of the stock clips. Is there a more permanent solution?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
There are 100,000's of Fords out there using the same hose connection system (not just Mustangs). If there were a design issue affecting their holding ability, it would be a huge problem everytime someone WOT'ed their car. My gut tells me that something is broken.

How about some pictures of the hose nipple? Any evidence of cracked plastic? How about pieces of plastic inside the hose connector?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Just a thought...

What the hell is happening to the hose at WOT that would cause it to come loose? One would think it would take quite a bit of force to pop it off.
Are your engine mounts ok?
Maybe something is giving way when you apply that much power and letting the hose slip off.

I could be waaay off base on that, but if you say the hose and nipple are in good shape, then i don't know.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Are your engine mounts ok?
Hey Rabbit, that is a great point! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it.

Mustangs are very hard on motor mounts. I personally have replaced motor mounts on 2 of my Mustangs. Not for preventive means. They were actually broken.

What good use of the ole "grey matter".

:goodpoint::yourock:

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Hey Rabbit, that is a great point! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it.

Mustangs are very hard on motor mounts. I personally have replaced motor mounts on 2 of my Mustangs. Not for preventive means. They were actually broken.

What good use of the ole "grey matter".

:goodpoint::yourock:
It's just a thought, burns...
the OP seems to like WOT... maybe he has some twist action going on there...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Happened to me plus lots of steam came off.

Replaced the intake manifold and been good ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, sorry I've been off the site for a few days. That's actually a good point I didn't think of the engine mounts. I drive a Mustang so I love going WOT, but I'm a very slow driver, most days I don't even take it over 3k rpm for a vew weeks at a time. I'll try to get some pictures up asap

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In addition, the first owner had a kenne bell installed on the first motor and pretty much destroyed it. So, the last owner, a personal friend, swapped out the motor for a 2003 motor so I'd assume that he would've checked the motor mounts. But, thats a great point. I'll ask him about that tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update; I talked to my friend who owns Buckhead Imports in atl (they actually do a lot of work on mustangs) and he said it might be a head gasket. So, we're taking the motor apart on Tuesday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts