Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is getting old, I started noticing that I was leaking coolant about a week ago and my car would get all fogged up, so I had my heatercore replaced, then 5 days later I noticed that my coolant level light was still coming on, so I took it in and they replaced the radiator. So I figured this should be all, I mean how many times can I take it in to get fixed and not have the whole problem fixed, well clearly 2 isn't enough, it's still leaking, I'm guessing it's now the water pump, it looks like it is driping from the front sway bar, so I'm guessing it's leaking from the water pump cause that's right above it right? if so how big of a job is, and appx. how much for a new pump and install will I be looking at, this is stress I don't need being that it's xmas... never thought I'd say this but I'm truely hating my car right now...oh, and it's a 93 5.0...please reply as soon as possible!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The water pump is fairly easy once you get the clutch fan and fan shroud off. Removing those two small hoses is the biggest PITA.

Scraping the timing chain cover to get the old pump gasket off is a pain also.

It's not hard though.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Get a flash light and follow the trail. Look at it from under and above.
Make sure it isn't coming from between the block and timing cover. I think my '84 leaked there, I never did figure it out. Water pump isn't too bad. Remove the bolts one at a time, and place them in the corrosponding hole in the new pump, and transfer 'em back to the old one - so as to get them all back in the right places. Might as well put in a new 180º or 190º thermostat too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My car was leaking at the Tstat housing causing a drip on the sway bar on the passenger side of the engine. Like meangreen said if your engine is fairly clean you should be able to follow the trail up to the point it is leaking at. The bypass hose ( pump to Tstat housing) may also be bad. Out of all the things that need to be done to replace a pump or Tstat getting this hose off and on is the hardest part IMHO. If it turns out to be teh housing or pump, I would just get a new hose and cut the old one (dependent on age of old one). If the Tstat housing must come off the lower bolt can be a pain also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if the water pump went bad, there is a weep hole in the body of the pump that will puke fluid out to let you kno the bearings went. check that out first. the hole is about 1/8 inch in diameter. also if you do change t-stat housing and/or t-stat, make sure you ask for the gasket w/ the stickey stuff on it b/c that will maake the job 10 times easier and also make sure the t-stat is in the right way. good luck

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I've had several waterpumps in my various 5.0 Foxes, and I've noticed that whenever the pump starts leaking out the front, it usually drips onto the crankshaft pulley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.