Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92 LX 5.0 5-speed and just replaced the stock 2 row radiator because the one that was on was leaking and then fixed and then started leaking after a few months after it was replaced. I replaced the two hoses coming in and out of the radiator but now the lower hose that is connected to the water pump has a small but constant leak coming out. it looks like if its coming from or near where the clamp is holding the two together at the water pump.
Should I replace the lower hose again or buy a new clamp ? the clamp is as tight as it can get. What are the signs that a water pump is giving way?
Thanks for your guys' feedback, Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
It sounds like you've got too much pressure in the cooling system. This could be due to a restriction, or a headgasket leak. Hopefully it's just the radiator cap. I think autozone can check it, as well as the pressure in the radiator. Maybe the thermostat isn't opening all the way.
The waterpump will usually start to leak, (out the weephole onto the crank pulley) or wobble as it rotates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I have the day off tomorrow so I will head to autozone and see if they can help me out. I hope the cap will solve th problem too. I'm still feeling the Christmas spending so the less expensive the better. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
A properly installed radiator hose will never leak regardless of pressure. Other things will fail first.

The water pump is made of aluminum and a buildup of mineral deposits along with pitting will cause the hose to leak. Sand the water pump inlet with course sandpaper to remove those imperfections and I guarantee that hose will not leak! :winks

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Are you sure its not coming out of the weep hole like meangreen described? It could drip onto the hose and appear the hose is leaking.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Suedehead_LB said:
Should I replace the lower hose again or buy a new clamp ? the clamp is as tight as it can get.
[email protected]
If it's the original clamp replace it. You definitely want the ones which tighten with a screw driver, or socket.
My '84 came to me with the wrong t'stat housing. It was the old style one, which doesn't come up as far. This caused the upper hose to kink. Until I figured it out, and replaced it, that car always had way too much pressure in the cooling system - it leaked out of all kinds of places...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.