Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 Convertible with 289 2V and California Thermactor Emissions. I have a smog pump but am unsure if it is original or rebuilt original or aftermarket. Can anyone describe how I could tell what a correct pump would be? (numbers, date codes, etc)

thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
These are from a '66 San Jose coupe 289 with TE also. I dont have any pics of the pump or filter thinge yet. My camera is dead. ill add some of the pump & filter thinge in about 2 hours.

There are several numbers on the side of the pic that's here now. On the round piece (whatever that's called) :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Here are a few more pics of the TE. I dont know how to tell a factory set up from a repro. There is the part number beginning with C60E on the 2nd pic in last post. And several other numbers on the pump itself.

Far as i know, mine is an original. Had no TE belt on it when i bought the car. The pump turns but is noisy. Prob why the belt was taken off. Hope the pics help ya some. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
There were two different T/E systems on the '66 cars with all kinds of differences between them and also the non-T/E cars. Buy the Bob Mannel book and read and see all about it. Its much too complicated to explain by waving my hands. Bob describes them as the air-gulp (Cleveland only) and the air by-pass systems. One had air pipes external to the head the other had the air passages cast/machined into the heads.

Mustang & Ford Small Block V8, 1962-1969

The second picture Ken attached above appears to be the air-gulp backfire suppression valve shown on page 6-38. That must say that Ken's car has C6OE-M heads from the Cleveland foundry. The Windsor heads were C6AE. Pulleys, manifolds, hoses, all kinds of things were different between the two. Buy the book.

I highly doubt that any of this stuff was ever reproduced. Owners were ripping it off and throwing it away so fast that no one ever considered there would be a market for such a complex system that no one wanted. Most of the removed parts were turned into scrap metal 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I forgot to mention i do have them real small tubes on each side of engine. (Long tubes front to rear) with a single extended piece going down to each spark plug area. Let me know if you would like a pic of that set up, and ill get it later tonight.

It is just in the way of removing the spark plugs. A bit lower then the edge of valve cover.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Those long tubes are what Mannel calls 'air logs' which inject air into the exhaust manifold ports. They were only used on Cleveland heads. The Windsor heads had a single air connection on each head and the distribution to the exhaust ports were through internal passages in the head. The Cleveland method was how the first ones were built and all the later Windsor heads did it differently.

Depending upon which type of heads were on Paul's car originally will determine if those external air logs were ever used on his car.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I thought all the '66's had the air injection into the exhaust manifolds. I have to get that book! Think I still have all that "stuff" still on my 289 CA car, just pulled motor and parked it in the corner. They do repo the smog stuff for the Boss motors, air pump runs about $350 from SEMO.
Dave

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was looking at my NPD book (pg 122-123) & they do make a some repro Smog items for the early cars. Most of it is for '67 and later tho.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially 6T6Coupe for the pictures. I have all original parts including filter, hoses, gulp valve, check valve, tubes with ferrules, and tubes that extend into the exhaust port of the clinder block. However, my actual pump does not have any Ford C6OE or similar number as shown on the pictures that 6T6Coupe provided. I must assume it was one of the repos.

I will need to get an original somehow. Great slogan 6T6Coupe, "Keeping in original as I can".

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You are welcome...glad to be able to help you. :) I looked ay my pump & I dont have a Ford part number either. The number i listed earlier was the Ford number that was on the front of pump pulley, C60E - 9B447B.

There is 1 place i cant see on the pump, its behind the plate that holds the bracket for the filter. Its got to be some where. Id look now but its after 7am & im tired. ill look tomm. & post my findings.

Edit: I was thinking you know some of them parts names pretty good. Maybe you could share with us? Gulp valve??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts