Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey my 92 LX 5.0 has a brand new set of tires on it cause it got stolen and we needed to put new tires on it. Well, it got stolen like 6 years ago...and its been sitting on the tires ever since.

We never raised it or anything. When we took it out a few weeks ago the ride was really bumpy. I know its the tires, my dad said there completely screwed since they've been sitting so long. He said that it may be able to be fixed?

If it cant be fixed what kind of tires you guys recommend for hot Florida weather in the 90-95s every day?

Oh yeah, the current tires on it are 225/55R/16 not sure if i put all that in the correct order. :p

let me know what you guys think :bigthumbsup

Edit: my bad about the misspelling in the Title... *correct*

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The reason your ride is lumpy is because the tires have flat spots in them. They should go away after 15-25 miles, but if I were you I would invest in some new tires pretty quick. BFGoodrich and Yokohama has a good severe duty tire... so does nitto..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. Since its going to be a daily driver for me (to school, friends house, normal things teens do).

But i still want good performance. As far as i know the new tires would have to be the same size, because thats what fits my wheels right now?

Alot of tires i see on sports/muscle cars dont have as high of a wall as the ones that are currently on it. Does that make for better performance? I really like the look of the tires without a high wall, but not sure if thats what im looking for.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Okay, thanks. Since its going to be a daily driver for me (to school, friends house, normal things teens do).

But i still want good performance. As far as i know the new tires would have to be the same size, because thats what fits my wheels right now?

Alot of tires i see on sports/muscle cars dont have as high of a wall as the ones that are currently on it. Does that make for better performance? I really like the look of the tires without a high wall, but not sure if thats what im looking for.
Smaller sidewall helps with performance somewhat but having more tread in contact with the ground would outweight the benefits of smaller sidewalls. If you do need to get new tires do yourself a favor and get 245/50/R16 tires (i'm assuming you have the stock pony wheels). The sidewalls won't differ much from your current setup but you will have more tread for cornering and such.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thats awesome, thank you so much for the recommendation.

Im just trying to understand tires a little bit better right now. So the ones you recommended are going to be wider, have a slightly smaller sidewall, and fit my stock pony wheels. (thats the R16 at the end, correct?)

Sorry for acting like a total noob and asking so many questions :headscratch:

R

·
0 Posts
No matter what brand you get......

I recommend something that will perform well in the rain since

you know it rains almost every day here in the "sunshine state".......:gringreen

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No matter what brand you get......

I recommend something that will perform well in the rain since

you know it rains almost every day here in the "sunshine state".......:gringreen
You know i actually cant believe i didnt mention that in the original post. :p Its amazing how much it rains here! I gotta cut the grass every two weeks, man! :nono:

R

·
0 Posts
You know i actually cant believe i didnt mention that in the original post. :p Its amazing how much it rains here! I gotta cut the grass every two weeks, man! :nono:
i'm in central florida east of orlando i cut my grass once a week....:madas:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
651 Posts
Okay thats awesome, thank you so much for the recommendation.

Im just trying to understand tires a little bit better right now. So the ones you recommended are going to be wider, have a slightly smaller sidewall, and fit my stock pony wheels. (thats the R16 at the end, correct?)

Sorry for acting like a total noob and asking so many questions :headscratch:
They will have a wider tread but the sidewall will be nearly the same since the sidewall is based on a percentage of the tread width. So the wider tires have a "50" rating meaning 50% of the tread width is the sidewall height. The tires you have now have a smaller tread but higher percentage sidewall which makes them about the same. Don't be afraid to ask questions, people will always answer and thats what makes this forum great.

Getting tires good in the rain is a good thing on these cars. Its very easy to have the rear tires take over whats steering the car :eek:

We cut the grass once a week and this weekend was the first time this summer that we have had sun for three days straight! Stupid rain!

R

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will have a wider tread but the sidewall will be nearly the same since the sidewall is based on a percentage of the tread width. So the wider tires have a "50" rating meaning 50% of the tread width is the sidewall height. The tires you have now have a smaller tread but higher percentage sidewall which makes them about the same. Don't be afraid to ask questions, people will always answer and thats what makes this forum great.

Getting tires good in the rain is a good thing on these cars. Its very easy to have the rear tires take over whats steering the car :eek:

We cut the grass once a week and this weekend was the first time this summer that we have had sun for three days straight! Stupid rain!
Yes, this is a great forum. :D Thanks for all the help. :happyhapp
Sorry to hear about the rain, i know how you feel :p but lucky you to have gotten 3 days in a row of sun, it seems like whenever i wake up all i hear is the rain against my window.. :headscratch:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.
Kudos on your working ashtray lid in your sig. :bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.