Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you guys pay your body shop to paint your ducktail or similar spoiler? I just received my 3DCarbon ducktail, and the first body shop I went to wants $200 just to paint it. :doh: Seems kinda pricey, but I have never had a spoiler painted before.

·
Registered
150 Posts
price to paint anything on a new car

Price of materials + labor + plus prep + cost to warranty for 3 years/36,000 miles = cost to paint whatever it is

someplace along the line you will have to give up one of these items in order to reduce the price...which one would you like to skip? Tell the painter and if he/she is willing to skip that detail, you will have a lower price. If you desire the best work, with the longest warranty...then expect the price to be comminsurate with the quality of the service rendered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've done body work before as a hobby and it takes a while to do correctly. My old body shop bud did my spoiler for me since I dont have a place/equipment to do it anymore. The paint isnt very cheap and when he was done with my spoiler he asked me for $100 for the job. He said it was close to his cost which I believe and since we are good friends and he would have done it as a favor. So I gave him $200 and called it even.

To do the paint job right you have to sand down the rough pieces that you get from Cervinis or who ever you buy your spoiler from. I did that myself and have a half hour in that along. Then theres prep work to do on what my bud calls problem plastics. If it isnt done correctly it will fish eye like crazy. Then theres a few coats of primer and then you sand it down flat. A couple coats of base paint and then a few coats of clear allowing time to pass between each coat. Wet sand the clear coat and then try to buff out 3 small pieces that have a tendency to get ripped out of your hands. Deffinately not a "3 minutes to spray plus 10 minutes to prep"! The old addage of you get what you pay for applies here. $200 is in the ball park.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Guess I will have them do it. It's the body shop my Ford dealer uses to repair new car damage, etc. Hmmm. Wonder if they can match that wonderful Ford quality orange peel? :rolleyes: :wavey

·
Registered
7 Posts
JimS,
If you think a body shop is going to paint that spoiler like you described, you are dreaming. And if they do it, it'll be in the 400 bucks ballpark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i paid 350 to have it painted and installed. and there was alot of prep involved..like jim smyth said. looks awsome the color is perfect. one word of advise...dont rush your body guy let him take his time and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
eurostyle said:
JimS,
If you think a body shop is going to paint that spoiler like you described, you are dreaming. And if they do it, it'll be in the 400 bucks ballpark.
Ya Right! Then with your experiance, tell me how they would do it?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I cost me 206 to get my 3dcarbon ductail spoiler painted and installed. They originally quoted me 125, but it seems that the material is hard to work with? The body shop says it is cheaper material to increase 3dcarbons profit.:mad:

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bud calls it problem plastics! Sometimes even when you do everything correctly you still have some isolated problems. Mine did turn out well. Couldnt be happier!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it ended up costing me $195.00 for painting. He had ALOT of pin holes to fix along the entire edge of the spoiler. Go 3dCarbon! :sterb: When I got it home and prepped it for install, all the packages of 3M adhesion promoter included with the spoiler were dried up! :sterb: Not a single place in town has it in stock and has to order it. Will end up costing me another $25.00 just for the adhesion promoter!

I will never buy another product made by 3dCarbon! :wavey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts