Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering what it would cost to update a base 07 mustang to have equal or better suspension to the Pony Package, as well as have equal or better sway bars, and wheels and the rest, i suppose better brakes too?

·
Registered
746 Posts
look at mustang new take offs,they have everything you would need to upgrade.
it gets costly,i think alot of us here can agree to that,
modding is addicting!
but its only money! right,cant take it with ya when you die!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
41 Posts
actually there is no difference in the suspension between the base and the pony. matter of a fact there is no difference in the 6v and a gt. the gt uses basicly the same parts just different mounts. if you want to a good package to upgrade too, check out www.fordracing.com and check out the FR3 pack for the v6. that is what i have and it has done wonders. the fr3 pack is the same as what the shelby's have on them. for what you get in the pack, you cant piece together something for the same $$$.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i have better suspension on my base right now than the pony. you can get the gt frt and rear sway bars,shocks and struts takeoff package for around 2-300.00. then 1-200.00 for a strut tower brace and your car will handle sweet :bigthumbsup( the gt frt sway is a upgrade from what the pony has, rear is the same, struts are metered different for the gt) 1-2000.00 for rims and tires, and i dont know what they have for brakes, if different or not.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As you can see, it is all about how much you want to spend and over what period of time. First, there IS a difference between the pony and base models in suspension (the degree to which is influenced by if you have a vert or coup) but I agree that this is not really the point. The point is, how can you upgrade your suspension for the least amount, right? It also depends on your definition of better suspension (street cornering, street ride quality, or race and which type of race). I wanted street cornering improvement and went with lowering springs, beefier strut mounts and an engine strut bar. Amazing cornering, like on a rail. Mine is a vert so has rear sway and reinforced front chassis.

The FR package is great. I'd forget about the pony upgrade and focus on most for the money. Brakes on V6 are not great. As soon as mine need replacement I'll upgrade to the GT set from newtakeoffs.com.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Agreed that there is a difference between base v6, pony v6 and GT models suspension.

The base v6 comes with a small front bar and no rear sway bar. The pony v6 has the small front bar and a small pony rear bar. The GT has a larger front bar and a slightly larger rear bar.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Agreed that there is a difference between base v6, pony v6 and GT models suspension.

The base v6 comes with a small front bar and no rear sway bar. The pony v6 has the small front bar and a small pony rear bar. The GT has a larger front bar and a slightly larger rear bar.

Correct accept for the fact the pony rear bar is the same as on the gt.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you want to buy a set of gt take off sways i have an extra set. as far as gt suspension and brakes the rears are the same except for the sway bar the gt has a 20mm stock, pony has an 18mm and base model v6 doesnt have one at all. rear brakes same gt 500, gt , and v6. front brakes for a gt are larger than v6s but you need 17" or larger wheels to run them calipers and dust shields are the same just need gt rotars and the gt caliper brackets. (i have these on my car nice up grade) there is no difference between gt rear springs and v6. front springs are made for th eweight of a gt. and for the price plus shipping on these you would be better off with aftermarket ( i have used roush). all depends if you want the look of a pony package or the handeling. right now i know of a few pony grills for around 100. unless you want to have a pony package to say you have the pony package there are better options for the price, i know as i orginally wanted the pony pakage untill i figured out what i was getting for my $750 option. some floor mats and some bolt ons?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Correct accept for the fact the pony rear bar is the same as on the gt.:bigthumbsup
Not true, the pony rear bar is 18mm and the GT one is 20mm. Not a huge or necessarily even noticeable difference, but a difference nonetheless. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
256 Posts
I really don't know why you guys passed up the opportunity for the pony pkg specially when it's free. I got the pony pkg and it clearly states on the window sticker "pony pkg $750" then right below the options included in the package it says "pony pkg regional discount -$750" it's a great deal. I don't know if that was only for western states, but I couldn't pass on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.