Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that mustangs that has the big 5.0 V8 with 460 hp are fast in straight lines but my best friend let me test drive his 2017 mustang once and while it’s fast, It kinda felt like it wasn’t handling that well in tight turns like my BMW. It kinda felt floaty and heavy while in my M4 which has a v6 with 444 hp handles quite well in tight corners even if I go a little too fast.

Could you easily outrun a mustang in an M4 ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,566 Posts
If your talking about a curvy road I would think the BMW would have the upper hand. Power isn't enough to make a big difference but I believe the BMW is made more for that kind of driving, now that is against a regular GT I wouldn't give you the win if it was a GT350 that's made more for a road race.

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
Welcome to AFM even though you came here for a random BMW beating a Mustang question... haha

As answered I think against a standard GT in a straight line you lose, but on a curvy road you may be able to win. I saw may as I think it would come down to the driver. Equal driver and it while it would be a tight race I think the M4 wins. Though against a Boss 302 or a GT350 I think either of those would hand the loss to the M4 on a silver platter with no issue. Hope this answers your question.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Super Moderator
7,630 Posts
I think the M4 would beat the Mustang on the downhill twisty slopes of the French Alps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 2016 GT with independent rear suspension doesn't have problems on curvy roads in California's Sierra Nevada mountains. As long as there isn't any snow or ice, I get real good grip with my Michelin summer tires.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
hmmmm . . . well, the M4 sells for what; about two times as much as the Mustang?; and claims to be the "ultimate driving machine" . . . and it has about the same horsepower with substantially less weight and likely much higher tire-to-weight ratio too . . . so yeah on a road track I would expect the M4 to be posting quicker lap times almost for sure

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
. . . so yeah on a road track I would expect the M4 to be posting quicker lap times almost for sure
Yep, I've had Miata's give me trouble

·
Administrator
13,243 Posts
hmmmm . . . well, the M4 sells for what; about two times as much as the Mustang?; and claims to be the "ultimate driving machine" . . . and it has about the same horsepower with substantially less weight and likely much higher tire-to-weight ratio too . . . so yeah on a road track I would expect the M4 to be posting quicker lap times almost for sure
^^Agreed^^ Also, you don`t want to keep ANY Beemer past the warranty unless you are Daddy Warbucks. Even a relatively small thing such as replacing a battery:

Disclaimer: I understand that a lot of vehicle makers have some form of the above when replacing the battery, including Ford, but I`ll wager the Ford will be muuuuch less expensive:)

And of course there is this (and a lot of other articles like it):

With a Ford you are going to get a pretty reliable vehicle that won`t break the bank if/when something goes south. With BMW you are going to pay BMW prices for pretty much everything. If you are good with that, I will admit your Beemer will probably out handle my GT convertible.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sounds about right. The M4's are vicious and every time we've had one in our classes, its a grudge match. M4 won the NASA TT3 National Championship last year at Mid-Ohio, setting a track record and running an unbelievable lap time. Driver and car were dialed in. I came in 6 sec. slower.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Stock GT not that great with really aggressive driving on the twistys. Do a few suspenstion mods with the proper tires and voila a completely different story. As mentioned before many many $ ahead. Fit and finish on the Bimer is great but that doesn't help you to the fast time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all - the 2017 doesn't have 460 HP - it's more like 435 HP. Secondly if you get an 18 or newer GT with the magnetic ride control you can improve the road holding quite a bit by bringing up Sport or Race mode plus the 460 HP. The 18s also have much grippier Michelin Pilot tires compared to the Perellis on the older ones unless they've been replaced.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
I was a little surprised by that, assumed it would be the other way around . . . the Mustang in that test was the PP2 which is "almost a GT350" but still close to half the price of the BMW
I thought it’d be the other way around as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts