Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i was driving down the freeway...and as i took my exit i but the car in neutral as usual...(to save gas i guess...but pretty much just a weird habit) and as i was going down the ramp i noticed my revs were rising...even though the car was in neutral and the only action i was doing with my feet was breaking....now my question...could it be a sign of a bad clutch...or just nothing?...i know that if your revs go up ridiculously while accelerating is a symptom of clutch disks giving out....but i wasn't accelerating...i was just breaking and the car was in NEUTRAL as i was coming down the ramp
thanks for the help in advance...:bigthumbsup

(car info..Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed manual convertible steeda adjustable cable..double hook quadrant...with CAM firewall adjuster...soon to have..-Undredrive Pullies..and some long tube headers..don't know what brand yet...)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have had that same thing happen 2-3 times in the past. The last time was just the other day. Its easy to point fingers but I really do belive that its the IAC valve, at least thats what it seemed like to me when my car did it.

It felt like a ghost gently and slowly pressed the throttle then let off just as gently and slowly???

But I say IAC. I could be wrong but thats what I think it is. Just clean it out and see if it ever does it again

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Is that all it did? Nothing else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea...that was the only thing it did....and just how u described it...76Ford90LX "It felt like a ghost gently and slowly pressed the throttle then let off just as gently and slowly"

·
Registered
504 Posts
Do you have floor mats? Mine get caught on the gas pedal every now and then and that causes it. Probably not the case with you, but you never know.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Also clean your grounds to make sure the computer is reading properly. Even the ground beside of the pcm in the passenger footwell. Check the wires leading to the Iac to make sure that they are not loose or broken and make sure your connection is good at the harness. This problem drives some people crazy trying to fix it including me and seems to be common with these cars as they become older but keep trying and you will find the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.