Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lope in the idle, a slow throttle response at takeoff almost like the engine stumbles a little, and when I crank the engine I have to turn the key and let off of it a few times. About the third time I turn the key, it fires right up. A friend of mine suggested the fuel pump. I replaced the filter about a month ago, and the one I took off looks like it has been on there since 88 when the car was put together. It was completely rusted out and the gas coming out of it was a dingy brown. Also I hear a low pitched whining sound coming from the rear of the car when it idles. Could my friend be right, does this sound like a fuel pump problem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
new88fourbanger said:
Also I hear a low pitched whining sound coming from the rear of the car when it idles. Could my friend be right, does this sound like a fuel pump problem?
My thoughts are Fuel pump too... but check your fuel pressure at the Schraeder Valve under the hood.

The Whining you hear at the back of the car is somewhat normal. I heard it from my stang and hear it from my Merkur XR4Ti as well (XR has 2 FP's and the inline makes more noise, lol)

Do you hear the pump engage when turning the key forward to prime the lines?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the fuel pump last night and all my problems were solved. Cranks just perfect now and feels a lot more powerful and responsive (as powerful as a 2.3 can feel I suppose):winks. I think everything was hooked back up correctly, but I did have a few issues installing the pump. The clip on one of the lines coming off of the fuel pump broke off, so I had to rig it up. It seemed pretty sturdy, so I didn't worry about it. But now when I went to the gas station to fill up last night, I noticed a tiny leak at the back of the car coming from what appears to be a fuel line embedded in the rear fender. It didn't leak anywhere else for the rest of the night, just a tiny 25cent puddle of gasoline when refueling. I checked to see if the gas spout? was connected right, and it looked like it was. Any ideas?

P.S. Where is the schreader valve? How do I check the pressure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, is it a problem that the strainer fell off of the pump and into the tank when I put the pump back in? When I pulled the old pump off, there was no strainer, so it's possible I have 2 of them floating around in there. Is my car gonna blow up or something because of this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It wont blow up but you should probably get it out of there. As far as the broken clip on the line, just go to a junkyard and get the two nylon lines from the filter to the pump and replaced it so it doesn't blow off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Those broken clips may also be a common replacement part in the auto stores, you know the red package HELP! Not sure but I think I have seen those clips are sold in these. :tongue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.