Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I finally ordered a Magnacharger with the 2.85 pulley and the Kenne Bell boost a pump. Would it be possible to be over 400 rwhp with the 2.85? I was going to go with the 3.00 inch , but decided I can always pull some horsepower out. Would the GT500 tb help me out... I plan on going to LT's next year. The kit is still on back order; just playing the waiting game now. Any advice would be awesome ...

G

·
I got the stock pulley and I am at 378rwhp. BlewBIU has the 2.85 and he makes 430rwhp approx. He did wind up buying a 90mm idler pulley that came with reinforced belt tensioner. He has a KB BAP also. You would probably be fine with a BAP for that horsepower without an issue as far as fuel goes. Everyone recommends the Shelby Pump simply because it's got 2 pumps in it and the KP BAP basically just overclocks your stock pump. They are pricey though at $700 bucks. You will have no problems going well over 400rwhp with the 2.85in pulley. Blow by Racing sales even higher boost pullies. I seen a 2.65in or something like that. I think there is a way to get an 8rib conversion but the guy who knows doesn't like sharing info anymore unless you buy from him. That would be at bluecollarperformance.com. He is VERY well versed on the magnacharger and knows the guy who wrote the manual for the install apparently.

For you, with the KB BAP, CAI, 2.85in pulley and a good dynotune I would expect to see you at 420-435rwhp probably. Let us know what numbers you make with the mods/install. Good luck!

G

·
Oh yeah, I would hold off on the throttle body till you get everything else on. You might be happy right where you are at with the 2.85in pulley after the dynotune.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions , much appreciated.. Even if I would forge the motor the tuner/installer said that I would need sometiing to eliminate belt wrap and slip if I drop down to a smaller sizer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you prefer the Metco?

G

·
I am not familiar with the metco. I have the edelbrock reinforced tensioner but I haven't changed the idler pulley because I still have the stock boost pulley. I don't even know the size of the stock idler pulley but I would guess that it would have to be smaler than 90mm. The more boost you run the smaller your supercharger pulley would be thereby making the tension less so to compensate a larger idler pulley would be needed. I asked BlewBIU what he used a while back and he said a Thumper Racing belt tensioner. I am sure there are a fair amount of options. At the 2.8" boost pulley you will need something though. BlewBIU had shredded belts until he got that setup. So stronger belt tensioner and a 90mm idler pulley should be good with the 2.8" setup. BlowbyRacing offers even smaller pullies for more boost, they MIGHT require a larger idler pulley to compensate. If I were you I would contact people who sale and install the magnacharger. Steeda has the kit, J&M is probably who you will purchase from, Livernois sales the kit and obviously BlowByRacing would have the info for the 2.6" pullies they sale.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice...

G

·
I had read some stuff about throttle bodies and how positive displacement blowers are sensitive to inlet restrictions more so than others. That being said here is a quote from MM&FF Starkey also noticed how much of an impact a throttle-body change made to the car, as well as how the blower affected the overall torque curve of the vehicle. "I had installed a smaller blower pulley and made 610 rwhp, so I swapped on a 10-percent overdriven lower pulley to spin the blower even faster," he says. "This got me very little gain in terms of horsepower, but it gave me some torque. With the addition of a dual 66mm throttle body, I saw power shoot up by 25 rwhp, and boost increased by nearly 2 psi. The stock throttle body is really a restriction once you get above 550 rwhp.

This was on a cobra, so it might not be the best comparison but at least an idicator. Just wanted to ad some info on what STL already pointed out. Here is the link from the article so you don't have to take it out of context: Shelby Mustang GT500 Eaton TVS Supercharger Tuning - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

There were some other articles in MM&FF talking about such, one was a comparison with again a cobra, stock MP122, TVS, and then KB blower. It again talked about the sensitivity of inlet restrictions with the blower makeing a fair impacct. Of course these are big horsepower cars and bigger displacement. Good for the read though. So with the magnacharger it would not do you much good it seems. I kinda wish I wasn't on a limited funding for my car. I would totally love to see before and after of say an AFCO intercooler, before and after for CAI...etc. It will cost to find out though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.