Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night is the first time that I have really driven my car since I bought it and I have a few questions.

First, my stock oil pressure gauge stuck on the L and right below it pretty much the whole time I drove it. I also kept hearing chatter from my engine when I would accelerate. I know that I am not low on oil, so would that mean my oil pump is weak?

Second, what is normal operating temperature? My car would fluctuate between top of the R to middle of the N. Seems too high to me. Also, would turning on your headlights make your car hotter? I really don't think so but everytime I turned them on it would jump probably 10 degrees.??

Lastly, I just replaced my starter and noticed that my flywheel dust shim is garbage. It looks like whoever did the tranny swap in my car cut the circle out for my starter, broke the bottom 1/4 of the whole shim and now the two pieces overlap. I had to bend both parts out in order for them to stay off of the flywheel. I am looking for a new shim and I have seen two different ones on ebay, a one piece and a two piece. Any ideas to which one I need. Also another question about this, before I replaced my starter, my clutch did not make any noise. Now when I push in my clutch I hear kind of like a ticking sound. When you push in your clutch, does it push your flywheel out some? I am wondering if it is my flywheel hitting the shim is what is making the ticking noise.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Reason why you shouldnt use the stock gauges for accurate readings. You can try making sure the sending units connectors are tight. For the best readings you would need a better set of gauges( Mechanical). You could rent a set of diagnostic gauges just to set where you are actually at with Water temp and Oil Pressure.

R

·
0 Posts
Reason why you shouldnt use the stock gauges for accurate readings. You can try making sure the sending units connectors are tight. For the best readings you would need a better set of gauges( Mechanical). You could rent a set of diagnostic gauges just to set where you are actually at with Water temp and Oil Pressure.

100% in agreement......:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
651 Posts
Last night is the first time that I have really driven my car since I bought it and I have a few questions.

First, my stock oil pressure gauge stuck on the L and right below it pretty much the whole time I drove it. I also kept hearing chatter from my engine when I would accelerate. I know that I am not low on oil, so would that mean my oil pump is weak?

Second, what is normal operating temperature? My car would fluctuate between top of the R to middle of the N. Seems too high to me. Also, would turning on your headlights make your car hotter? I really don't think so but everytime I turned them on it would jump probably 10 degrees.??

Lastly, I just replaced my starter and noticed that my flywheel dust shim is garbage. It looks like whoever did the tranny swap in my car cut the circle out for my starter, broke the bottom 1/4 of the whole shim and now the two pieces overlap. I had to bend both parts out in order for them to stay off of the flywheel. I am looking for a new shim and I have seen two different ones on ebay, a one piece and a two piece. Any ideas to which one I need. Also another question about this, before I replaced my starter, my clutch did not make any noise. Now when I push in my clutch I hear kind of like a ticking sound. When you push in your clutch, does it push your flywheel out some? I am wondering if it is my flywheel hitting the shim is what is making the ticking noise.

Thanks for reading
In regards to your gauge readings, don't rely on them for accurate readings. But I found that redoing my grounds yielded more consistent readings from the stock gauges and prevented quick changes from doing things such as turning on the headlights. It will also make your car run better overall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea's why turning on my headlights would make my water temperature go up?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That's a problem a few others have had, I just can't remember the reason for it though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So for my oil gauge issue, I bought another oil pressure gauge and hooked it up. When I first turned the vehicle on at idle it was sitting right below 50 psi. After a while of it warming up it was right above 25psi. It still wasn't at the driving temperature when it is at its lowest. Does this mean it is definately my oil pump? One of the guys at the shop said to check cylinder compression. How would this affect my oil pressure?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, does your oil pressure sending unit affect the pressure or is it just a sensor?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What type of gauge did you buy? Mechanical or electrical?

Mechanical doesnt have a sending unit sensor.
I bought a mechanical but I was wondering if the stock sending unit corrects the pressure or is it just a sensor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.